Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CPUA Fail Red Light on Mac Motherboard

Early 2007 Mac Pro 2.66

Recently our Mac Pro 2.66 Dual Xenon Mac will be just going along then suddenly (like a light switch) it stops. No warnings, no kernel panic. Nothing. All that happens is the video screens go off (like you turned off the Mac). Caps lock light does not come on, but the Mac is still on (Power light is on). This has happened intermittently throughout the last few months. No rhyme or reason to why. This time we opened the case. All fans were going (not loudly, just quietly running) on the graphics card, both big fans in front and back of case, and the fan on the HDPro Raid card. Didn't feel hot inside. But, inside just above the ram on the motherboard was a brilliant red light. It was in a row that contained CPUB, CPUA, CPUB, CPUA, GPU. Above the first set of CPU lights is a bracket with a line going to the word "FAIL". Above the other set of CPU lights is a bracket with a line going to the word "OVERTEMP". The red light was on under the CPUA bracket with FAIL. Thing is, we restart and it runs just fine. Does this mean the CPU is going out? Or could it be something else?

I don't think it is software, because it actually stopped on the desktop (no program running other than then the finder). This instance it stopped when we moved the mouse.

Ran the Tech Tool Deluxe software that came with our Applecare (which is expired), and it checked the processor, RAM (all 16 GB of it) and the Video RAM. All passed except the Video RAM. However, we do have an AJA card (Final Cut set-up) that runs to a broadcast monitor and that may have been why the VRAM failed. Not sure. Any advice appreciated.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 16 gigs RAM, AJA Kona card, HDPro

Posted on Aug 25, 2011 2:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2017 7:46 AM

Thanks a bunch!!! this helped me after getting CPUA & CPUB fail lights yesterday. the one that did it was replacing the coin (cmos) battery. I think it was due anyway, I am still running a macpro 1,1 since 2006.

10 replies

Aug 25, 2011 2:59 PM in response to Cable1JoplinAdProduction

I don't think TT Deluxe is all that useful.

Strip your Mac down, and use Apple Hardware Test.

Monitor sensors with Hardware Monitor, set an alert if needed.

Don't run more than one program, fewer is better and you can have too many 'cooks' even for checking drive status.

Note on drives, check out MPG and why SoftRAID 4 should be your main disk check.

Dont rely just on automatic fan control. Doesn't work all that well. Run SmcFanControl 2.2.x with profiles for medium, high, etc you can switch to. Default doesn't do enough.

FBDIMMs are hot, keeping those under 73*C is a must. And watch out that they all register for what they should be.

Do just one SMC Reset and cold PRAM zap.

So no, I would not rely on VRAM test in TTD. If it makes you feel better, upgrade to TTPro 6 but I don't think that is best use of money either. But better.

And to play it safe, order a new graphic card. Sometimes the best way to troubleshoot and rule out, and for $250 I'd say worth it... unless you already have ATI 5770. Good for FinalCut.

There are always things running in the background doing something. Try to eliminate, your system will run better (faster, less lost resources) and more stable. Every last widget, you pay a price. Including SMART monitoring dodads.

Aug 25, 2011 6:37 PM in response to Cable1JoplinAdProduction

I found an old apple service manual that goes with your system. It even showed a picture of the bank of diagnostic leds which you described. Without any additional comment from me, below is what that service manual says for LED 3 CPU A:

LED 3 CPU A (Upper Processor) Error

Normally off. These LEDs come on if an error occurs or if the BootROM is corrupted. They do not depend on the DIAG_LED button being pressed.

Related symptoms include no video or the computer is hung up. If the BootROM is corrupted, the optical drive tray should eject, prompting for the insertion of a recovery disc to restore the BootROM.

Troubleshooting:

• With the computer booted, up press the SYS_RST switch. If this clears the CPU Error LED, check for incompatible device driver software that may have been installed for added hardware.

• If the Error LED is still on, power down the computer and try pressing the SMC_RST switch. Restart the computer.

• Reset the power supply by unplugging the AC cord for 10 seconds.

• Unplug AC cord and remove any added DIMMs and PCI Express cards. If this causes the LED to go off, repopulate the DIMMs and/or PCI Express cards to find the combination that caused the LED to come on. Overheated memory could be a possible cause for this CPU error LED to come on. Check fan operation.

• Unplug the AC cord and remove the battery for 10 seconds. You may need to remove a PCI Express card to get to the battery. Reinstall the battery and restart the computer.

• Try swapping CPU A and CPU B locations. If the CPU Error LED follows the CPU, replace that CPU.

• Try replacing the logic board.

Aug 26, 2011 7:05 AM in response to Cable1JoplinAdProduction

Thanks for both replies. Great info. I wish I could give you correctanswer but until it does it again, I won't know. We have the tempmonitor installed and everything looked good (we weren't runninganything at the time though). Today will be a test. Armed with yourinformation and many others we are going to watch the graphics card(original ATI Radeon X1900 card that came with it. I think that was theonly card to drive the huge Cinema display that came with it). Will tryto post info as we progress. Thanks again for the very good informationand help. On we go!

Aug 29, 2011 12:30 PM in response to Cable1JoplinAdProduction

I have the exact same vintage Mac Pro and graphics card, and having the exact same problem. Took it into the Apple store about 2 months ago, nothing apparently wrong. They then found the interior "dirty" and cleaned it out and ran a rather extensive stress test and found all is good. Worked fine, but now the problem is back. I've placed a small fan on the floor outside the Mac blowing into it to see if that helps, but the problem persists. Definately please post what you end up buying to replace the X1900, I am thinking I've got the same problem you have.

Jun 22, 2015 11:34 AM in response to Cable1JoplinAdProduction

1- with the computer on press the internal "sys rst" botton.

2- With the computer off but power cord connected press the internal "smc rst" botton

3- with the computer off but power cord connected press the internal 'RTC RST" botton

if still not booting and still a red ligh inside near to SMC RST botton. unplug the computer ,take the internal coin battery out for 30 minutes and then try again.

Jun 22, 2015 12:26 PM in response to dagocast

dagocast did you notice that the post is almost 4 years old? I do not think the poster is still waiting

dagocast wrote:

1- with the computer on press the internal "sys rst" botton.

2- With the computer off but power cord connected press the internal "smc rst" botton

3- with the computer off but power cord connected press the internal 'RTC RST" botton

if still not booting and still a red ligh inside near to SMC RST botton. unplug the computer ,take the internal coin battery out for 30 minutes and then try again.

CPUA Fail Red Light on Mac Motherboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.