Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Incoming emails keep repeating in Apple Mail

I have had all kinds of probs with Apple Mail lately, mainly to do with getting to see all my POP3 email in Gmail on my PC at work. This stopped working last week, now it is miraculously working again. Great!

But last night/this morning vast amounts of email from last few days repeated themselves, spent ages sorting througgh them and deleting repeats while being careful to watch out for new mail. That has thankfully stopped too, I have no idea why it started suddenly, or stopped or why above Gmail problem righted itself.

But now all emails are coming in twice, not as bad as above probs but annoying. They do not repeat in Gmail or mail2web.com but I use mainly Apple Mail at home. Can anyone please suggest a solution?

It must be either something in Mail Preferences or in Gmail settings. I have Mail 3.6, most Help is for 4.0 (can and should I upgrade, by the way, I uploaded some kind of upgrader but it didn't want to install).

Thank you.

Michael

iMac, 1 GHz PowerPC G4, 1.5 GB DDR SDRAM, Mac OS X (10.5.8), iMac Model Identifier: PowerMac6,3 Processor Name: PowerPC G4

Posted on Aug 25, 2011 3:03 PM

7 replies

Aug 26, 2011 9:03 AM in response to BDAqua

I unchecked auto forward in Rules several days ago so I don't think it's that. Must be sthg in Mail prefs or possibly Gmail settings but I'll be darned what... Asked my (expensive) ISP and they said it's to do with Mail, nothing to do with them. Have also asked former ISP whose email address I still use (pay them £12 a year, good value), no reply so far...

It's strange how things keep changing (forwarding to Gmail stopped working for a few days, now working again), doubling of email only in Apple Mail not in webmail...

Michael

Aug 26, 2011 10:07 AM in response to ibisbill

I have Mail 3.6, most Help is for 4.0 (can and should I upgrade, by the way, I uploaded some kind of upgrader but it didn't want to install).

Apple's Mail version is tied to the OS, v3.6 is as high as you can go in 10.5.x, v4.x is for 10.6.x

Seems there is a rule somewhere, or a munged pref perhaps on the Mac, but impossible to figure out on this end.

Have you viewed the Long Headers on the duplicates to see if there's a difference, or an IP clue?

Aug 30, 2011 9:30 AM in response to BDAqua

This is a separate matter really but why am I still receiving emails responding to Leopard postings that have nothing to do with me? I have checked "no" for everything in email notification preferences but they are still coming in tho' possibly at a lower rate than previously. I have filtered them to go straight to trash but it's still puzzling/annnoying. I would like to receive only replies to my own postings but can't get this to work in practice.

Thank you again.

Incoming emails keep repeating in Apple Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.