Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I create a system image with System Image Utility and then transfer the image folder to another server?

I am currently in the process of creating several images to restore for classroom purposes. I am wondering if it is possible to use the System Image Utility on a computer which has Server Admin Tools installed, then transfer that image folder directly to the "NetBoot" folder on our current Apple Netboot Server. Has anyone tried this and/or succeeded? I'd like to get some feedback before attempting it myself on our college's netboot server. Thanks!

Xserve, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 25, 2011 3:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2011 4:46 PM

Yes, I do this all the time. It works like a charm.

8 replies

Aug 31, 2011 5:39 PM in response to John.Kitzmiller

We've run into a few problems concerning this process. When we create the image on a seperate machine from the server using SIU and then place it in the NetBoot folder, not every .nbi folder created works properly. We're running into errors that say "Could not find any scan information. The source needs to be imagescanned before it can be restored". This does not happen with every image, but it does happen with computers which have a lot of programs installed on them. Is there a way to imagescan the .nbi folder and/or resolve this issue without going through the process of making a completely new NetRestore image?

Sep 2, 2011 8:48 AM in response to John.Kitzmiller

We're seeing this after we've completed creating the .nbi file (folder) with SIU and tried restoring from it. Even if we try to scan the "Netinstall.dmg" file within the .nbi folder with Disk Utility, it says there is an invalid argument and won't verify the disk. We can perform a checksum on it, but not the "Scan Folder for Restore" feature with the .nbi or the .dmg within.

Sep 2, 2011 12:44 PM in response to John.Kitzmiller

First, we boot the original computer in Target FW mode, plug it into a machine with Server Admin installed on it, and create the NetRestore folder (.nbi) on the local computer with Server Admin (we save it to the desktop of the computer where the SIU is performing the image creation). Next, we take the folder, and transfer it to our own file server for back up, and then transfer it to the folder on our server which hosts the NetRestore function (NetBootSP0).

I hope this is enough info for right now. Thanks for your speedy replies, John.

Can I create a system image with System Image Utility and then transfer the image folder to another server?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.