Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion and AFP connection, the apple fix didn't work for me

Apple has this article up about connecting via AFP to an older server. I have such a server at work, but am not the administrator of it and I know that they will not be willing to mondify or update it

The article is here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4700, it says:

Lion maintains a list of authentication methods that are not allowed. These are the older, less secure authentication methods. You may need to enable one or more of these methods to support legacy devices or protocols.

1. Open Terminal.
  2. Execute the following commands:
    sudo chmod o+w /Library/Preferencessudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_host_prefs_version -int 1
  3. Make an AFP connection to another system so that the AFP Client preference file will be filled in with the default set of values. Note: You must connect as a registered user, not as a guest.
  4. Execute the following command to see a list of the disabled User Authentication Methods (UAMs)
    defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_disabled_uams
    By default the disabled UAMs are "Cleartxt Passwrd", "MS2.0", "2-Way Randnum exchange", and "DHCAST128". Note: if you don't see a list, restart your computer and repeat step 3.
  5. To enable one of these UAMs, remove it from the list of disabled UAMs. For example, this command enables DHCAST128 by removing it from the list of disabled authentication methods:
    sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_disabled_uams -array "Cleartxt Passwrd" "MS2.0" "2-Way Randnum exchange"
  6. After the desired changes have been made, restore the permissions on the Preferences folder with this command:
    sudo chmod o-w /Library/Preferences

I have done this several times (with various restart combinations), but still get the same result. When I try to connect, I get:

"The version of the server you are trying to connect to is not supported. Please contact your system administrator to resolve the problem."

Am I going about this all wrong? I really need to get on this puppy while I'm not at work--it's pretty annoying that I upgraded from Snow Leopard and all the sudden, bam, nothing works. I wish I'd never upgraded now...too few good features to make it worth it.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1), 2.4 GHZ MacBook Pro 13, 8GB Ram

Posted on Aug 25, 2011 4:11 PM

There are no replies.

Lion and AFP connection, the apple fix didn't work for me

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.