Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internet sharing broken on ibook g4?

hi all,

I have a 1.2gz g4 ibook with 10.5.8, and a powermac g4 with 10.5.8, the ibook has an airport card, the power mac does not. I used to use this ibook for internet sharing on everything, from an xbox 360 to windows. i've tried firewire and ethernet. but for the last month this computer will not share the airport card internet connection. ive tried it with several different computers and it doesnt work. ive reinstalled leopard, and even went to tiger to see if it would work. but still doesnt. (currently has leopard again, btw). the main question is, can some one help me get airport to ethernet or firewire, dont care which one, internet sharing to work with this ibook?

iBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8), G4 1.2ghz, 1.25gb, 30gb

Posted on Aug 25, 2011 4:32 PM

12 replies

Aug 25, 2011 6:58 PM in response to darthrevan945

So why don't you get a router?

If you can't set it up, someone with a more recent machine can do it for you.

The router has Ethernet ports on the back for the PS3 and the PM 64, all you need is Ethernet cable, you can use the Wifi of the router for the iBook G4.

Your looking about $50-$100 for the router. 🙂

Using the Ethernet or Firewire port of the iBook G4 is just going to wear it out sooner and then your stuck when you need it.

Aug 25, 2011 9:37 PM in response to darthrevan945

darthrevan945 wrote:

I have a router. The power mac has no way to connect to the wireless network, hense internet sharing on the iBook. Airport to ethernet/firewire.

Is your router a Airport Express? No extra Ethernet ports on the back to run a cable to the PM?

Because if you have extra Ethernet "out" ports but the PM is in a location you can't run a cable or it's too far or the wifi signal is blocked somehow you can use something like this that uses the power lines.

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=495008

Aug 26, 2011 12:23 AM in response to darthrevan945

The powermac is upstairs, the belkin wireless router is downstairs. the ibook with an airport exreme works great as it an N router. the powermac has no airport card, and i dont have the money nor patients to go buy a mac compatible wireless adapter. they both have leopard. i just need to get internet sharing to work so i dont have to boot up this laptop everytime i need internet when theres a faster powermac right here

Aug 27, 2011 4:59 AM in response to darthrevan945

darthrevan945 wrote:

The powermac is upstairs, the belkin wireless router is downstairs.

Then the Belkin Powerline is right up your alley, just plug the two wall sockets in, a couple of short Ethernet cables and your done. Bingo, all the Internet the PowerMac can handle.

the ibook with an airport exreme works great as it an N router.

The iBook came out before Wireless N standard, it's using a older, slower and probably less secure Wifi standard and even slower through the laptop as Internet sharing is designed as a temporary solution not a permanent one. For the fastest Internet possible, a Ethernet cable (or combined with Powerline) is best.

the powermac has no airport card, and i dont have the money nor patients to go buy a mac compatible wireless adapter.

The adapter here:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/MXP2802GU2/

Is a USB 2 thumb drive you just stick into the back of the PowerMac and works with any Mac 10.3.9 or higher. Leopard is 10.5.x. So it will just work. There is no complicated airport card to install inside the machine.

You can simply call OtherWorld Computing at their toll free number, confirm it will work, their return policy if it don't and order it, takes a few minutes and it's on it's way. Your spending more time here, so you obviously have the patience.

If that doesn't work since the PowerMac is upstairs and perhaps the Wifi signal is blocked, then the Belkin PowerLine adapter is your next choice, that will work because it's like a Ethernet cable, just going through the powerlines instead.

i just need to get internet sharing to work so i dont have to boot up this laptop everytime i need internet when theres a faster powermac right here

Well it's quite possible it's been disabled for security issues, so your just going to have to find another solution to your problem.

Good luck

I'm done here. 🙂

<Edited by Host>

Aug 27, 2011 3:33 AM in response to ds store

i didnt mark any helpful or correct cuz one i didnt think about and 2 i literally have no money right now to buy anything, im 16 🙂. i have my own router, what i meant by the ibook working with wireless N, was that i have a belkin N router, that wll reach acrooss my street if i want. so the ibook works anywhere in range of that thing. anyways thanks for trying everyone, i suppose theres no way to get the internet sharing feature of os x working again.

Aug 27, 2011 10:11 AM in response to darthrevan945

darthrevan945 wrote:

i didnt mark any helpful or correct cuz one i didnt think about and 2 i literally have no money right now to buy anything, im 16 🙂. i have my own router, what i meant by the ibook working with wireless N, was that i have a belkin N router, that wll reach acrooss my street if i want. so the ibook works anywhere in range of that thing. anyways thanks for trying everyone, i suppose theres no way to get the internet sharing feature of os x working again.

Ok, your age explains why we are having a bit of trouble communicating. Sorry to fly off the handle a bit.

Your just going to have to ask your parents who have a credit card to order the adapter here, tell them your iBook can't give your PowerMac the Internet anymore so you need to stick in this device, it's only $16. 🙂

I'm sure they will understand and be glad your taking a interest in computers to buy it for you.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/MXP2802GU2/

Also I would like to add that your pretty advanced in using computers for a 16 year old, you had me fooled. 🙂

Consider learning computer programming so you can make the big money and be able to buy much of anything you need. 😉

Good Luck.

Aug 31, 2011 6:40 PM in response to ds store

It used to work so i dont think its the ISP, plus i was able to do it on a PC with XP recently. although my dad bought a new routher come to think of it, that could be the problem.. But i was able to have my mother pick up a USB wireless card so I think that solves it now.

I've actually built computers before so I am pretty knowlagble for my age lol 😉, I'm rather new to macs compared to PC's so thats why i come here to get help for software issues like this.

Thank you all for your help, I do appreciate it 🙂

Internet sharing broken on ibook g4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.