Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I hear that since MACs are so widespread that they are now susceptible to viruses. Should I install anti-virus freeware like Sophos?

I hear that since MACs are so widespread that they are now susceptible to viruses. Should I install anti-virus freeware like Sophos? I installed it and it would take at least 15 seconds to load an internet page, but often more time. I uninstalled Sophos and it still ran slow. However, I realized that I had literally 1000 trashed pictures and after cleaning out the trash my iMac was back up to speed. However, my computer was running quickly before I installed Sophos, even with all the pictures in the trash bin. I am reluctant to install Sophos again, but it did detect and clean out 82 viruses, two which were trojans.

All of the Apple sales people say that Apples dont get viruses but they are wrong since I had 82 of them...according to Sophos. I am not sure what to do.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Aug 25, 2011 8:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2011 8:38 PM

No. Still not needed.

AV software causes more harm then good on Mac. So only install them if you want to cause yourself problems.

Allan

11 replies

Aug 26, 2011 7:39 AM in response to Andrew-Phx

Like the stock market, past performance is not a guarantee for the future. I've used ClamXav for years, and it periodically picks up phishing emails, maybe one mac trojan, and sometimes something that might impact Windows. I have it set up to monitor file downloads and emails and don't do periodic scans (which used to really impact system performance). Using it just to monitor incoming data, there have been no system-related issues, slow downs etc, that I'm aware of. While it's free to download/use, it's donation ware. http://www.clamxav.com

You might do an entire disk scan one time, but after that, I'd recommend just checking incoming activity.

Aug 26, 2011 9:03 PM in response to Andrew-Phx

True. So far no one has been able to develop a virus that can attack OS X yet.

There are Trojans that the user must auithorize their installtion on a Mac but not a virus which can instalt itself without the knowledge of the users.

Hence my reason for saying the best way to protect your Mac is to use that thing between your ears called your brain.

Allan

Jan 9, 2015 4:23 PM in response to Allan Eckert

Mr. Eckert

I was wondering if you could help me?

You once did before.

My name is Carmen

I just opened up safari and it said that the last website I opened had given a virus to my iMac

I highly doubt that since I only opened my bank and iTunes and gmail lately.

It wanted me to download some kind of program to take care of virus, which I DID NOT

How can I really find out if my computer has a virus.

I thought iMacs did not get viruses?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Jan 9, 2015 4:24 PM in response to Allan Eckert

Mr. Eckert

I was wondering if you could help me?

You once did before.

My name is Carmen

I just opened up safari and it said that the last website I opened had given a virus to my iMac

I highly doubt that since I only opened my bank and iTunes and gmail lately.

It wanted me to download some kind of program to take care of virus, which I DID NOT

How can I really find out if my computer has a virus.

I thought iMacs did not get viruses?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Edit

Jan 9, 2015 6:33 PM in response to CCLIANA

Hi Carman

You are absolutely correct to be suspicious of this message.

There is no way for them to know what you did or if you downloaded virus or not.Not doing as they suggest is the correct thing to do.

Your computer does not have a virus since there are no virus that can infect Mac yet.

You are also correct that Mac do not get virus. There is malware such as Trojan which use social engineer to get you to install but they are not virus.

Jan 10, 2015 1:44 AM in response to Andrew-Phx

Trojans and malware are the biggest threats to Macs but are

relatively easy to avoid.

Follow these rules:

1. Only download applications directly from the vendor that created them.

2. If you get a pop up while web browsing asking to update a plug in, ignore

it and go directly to the vendor site to verify that you do in fact require an update.

3. If you don't know the sender of an email, trash it.

4. If you get emails from financial institutions that may be ones you use, never open

links from that mail. Go directly to the site and see your information. Many "physhers"

can make very impressive and official looking emails.

5. Never ever supply any personal information requested by links in any email.

6. If go to any "warez" or similar sites, well you deserve to get burned since your trying to

rip off something any way.

I hear that since MACs are so widespread that they are now susceptible to viruses. Should I install anti-virus freeware like Sophos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.