Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I find out how many pros intend to use FCP X?

I work at a school and we have been teaching FCP 6 as part of a Multimedia program. Our goal is to provide training to students so they can continue on with a degree, or gain enough basic skills to get employment. I am now a bit concerned with FCP X. If the pro editors are not going to be using it then we will be doing a disservice to our students by continuing to teach it.

1. How can I find some type of data indicating the adoption rate of FCP X by pro editors?

2 . Anyone noticing any trends with pro editors regarding shifting towards Avid, Premiere, or some other platform?

Thanks for any info or insight.

Posted on Aug 26, 2011 12:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2011 12:47 AM

Graduating to FCP X has been a bumpy ride for many editors.

True, there are some shortcomings with FCP X (I've had my frustrations with it, too) but as a user of FCP versions 4 to 7, I'm totally convinced that once the hot air cools down, the editors who are doing all the shouting will find the application is way, WAY ahead of any competitor product.

In your place, I would judge the application on its merits and make your own informed judgement whether you think editors will be using it in years to come.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2011 12:47 AM in response to kat.hayes

Graduating to FCP X has been a bumpy ride for many editors.

True, there are some shortcomings with FCP X (I've had my frustrations with it, too) but as a user of FCP versions 4 to 7, I'm totally convinced that once the hot air cools down, the editors who are doing all the shouting will find the application is way, WAY ahead of any competitor product.

In your place, I would judge the application on its merits and make your own informed judgement whether you think editors will be using it in years to come.

Aug 26, 2011 12:52 AM in response to andynick

I am not so much referring to professional editors who might work by themselves. I'm talking about professional editing houses and places that might have 20-30 or whatever Macs with some editing application on them.

1. As far as a professional editing application, is it just too different from Avid and other editing applications to draw much interest?

Thanks.

Aug 26, 2011 12:56 AM in response to kat.hayes

kat.hayes wrote:

I work at a school and we have been teaching FCP 6 as part of a Multimedia program. Our goal is to provide training to students so they can continue on with a degree, or gain enough basic skills to get employment. I am now a bit concerned with FCP X. If the pro editors are not going to be using it then we will be doing a disservice to our students by continuing to teach it.

1. How can I find some type of data indicating the adoption rate of FCP X by pro editors?

2 . Anyone noticing any trends with pro editors regarding shifting towards Avid, Premiere, or some other platform?

Thanks for any info or insight.

Two gentlemen I work with who are the primary video editors at the local area PBS outlet gave FCPX a try... they ended up not being able to use it because of: 1. stability problems, 2. Tape is still used in the studio and the ability to sync/control a transport is not there (as I understood) 3. They had problems syncing audio.

4. One editor lost an afternoon's work after a crash.

They could see potential.. but in the end threw up their hands in desperation/disappointment.

If it's going to be the coolest thing out there... it's got a ways to go.

Aug 26, 2011 1:00 AM in response to kat.hayes

I work on my own, so I have no idea what the editing organisations will do but what I do know is that FCP X is saving me hundreds of hours in editing time.

I imagine any organisation that (eventually) rumbles this will want some of the action but larger organisations are notoriously slow to change - and many humans dislike learning something new, so when the can't get the result they want, they blame the application and stick with what they know.

Andy

Aug 26, 2011 2:03 AM in response to andynick

Hi Andynick, as you I work on my own do TV productions etc... I use FCP 7 which is great and fast, only the bit of rendering is a problem, which apple should have fixed.

FCPX is still NOT to the top, I have it and worked with it but still for me FCP 7 is better. Re rendering on FCPX still take its time so hopefully apple will fix all the missing features .

So Kat.Hayes what I thing those who used Imovie would love FCPX but on the other hand people like me would stick to FCP 7 for now.

How can I find out how many pros intend to use FCP X?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.