12 Replies Latest reply: Feb 17, 2013 10:57 AM by Scott Beach
MacSouthGlos Level 1 (0 points)

A few minutes after opening a new window in Safari, the magnification will suddenly increase. This does not affect other windows and the only remedy is to close and reopen the window. It appears to happen on a mouse movement but I cannot find a way to reverse it. Any remedies?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.1)
  • CT Level 6 (17,545 points)

The only thing that comes to mind is the two finger tap to "smart zoom", which is enabled via System Preferences. Maybe?

charlie

• MacSouthGlos Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks Charlie but I cannot deliberately replicate the phenomenon on demand and I cannot reverse it. Zoom is off in universal access and the double tap simple moves in and out of mission control. I am using a wireless mouse. Also it is a fixed magnification. I cannot increase or decrease it.

Have worked out how to un zoom!!! How embarassing, but still do not know why it happens.

• CT Level 6 (17,545 points)

Tell us how you fix it; it might give a clue on how to prevent it.

charlie

• LexSchellings Level 6 (8,712 points)

Probably you have the extension HoverZoom. You might disable the HoverZoom extension in Safari (in preferences/extensions page), then Quit and Restart Safari.

• Allan Eckert Level 9 (50,699 points)

No. I don't have HoverZoom.

In fact I never heard of that one but that is exactly what happens when it makes its mind up to do it.

Allan

Hi Charlie,

I simply used the View menu and unzoomed so that does not really help you.

• Allan Eckert Level 9 (50,699 points)

I agree that is not a good work around.

I have found that by going back a page and then coming back again will undo the zoom most of the time for me.

Of course that is a royal pain in the you know what. So it is NOT much better of a work around either.

Allan

I have now changed from bluetooth mouse to a trackpad and the problem has stopped!! Perhaps the problem was with hardware all along.

• Scott Beach Level 1 (15 points)

I'm getting the same behaviour in Lion with a wireless mouse. I've not nailed it down yet but am pretty sure it's something gesture-like I'm doing. I just cmd+0 to fix every time. I'm fairly certain it's not a hardware bug.

• Marie Avante Level 1 (65 points)

I realize this is an old thread, but I have exactly the same issue in Safari, and only in Safari. I just got a new iMac with Mountain Lion installed, and am using the wireless mouse that came with it (whatever they are calling the mouse these days). If I'm on a page and merely move the mouse over toward the side of the page, it suddenly will zoom up one or two magnifications.

I know how to "double tap," and I'm not double tapping when it happens. I'm not lifting my fingers on the mouse at all. When this happens, double tapping sometimes will take it down a notch in zoom, sometimes not. I just do Cmd-zero to return the view to normal, but it's extremely annoying, and apparently Apple is comatose to the problem.

I've searched everywhere trying to find out why this happens, to no avail.

• Scott Beach Level 1 (15 points)

Marie:

An old thread but not one that Apple has dealt with yet. I've upgraded from 10.7 to 10.8 since my last post and the same thing still happens.

- Scott