Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to turn off pinch/zoom for the desktop only?

I love the pinch open & close feature on the trackpad and use it in lots of applications and folders. The only annoying part of it is that if I accidentally swipe the trackpad in the wrong way while on the desktop, it resizes all the icons. When I bring them back to the regular size I wind up having to rearrange all of them again back the way I want them.

Is there a way to either lock the icon size ON THE DESKTOP ONLY. Or to turn off the trackpad's pinch open & close feature ON THE DESKTOP ONLY. I still want the feature to work everywhere else.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 26, 2011 8:52 AM

6 replies

Jan 22, 2013 11:13 PM in response to Schmactor

I'd install Better Touch Tool (free). Add two gestures for Finder ONLY that have "No action" associated with them. This disbales pinch/zoom on the desktop AND in any Finder window, but not in any other application.

If you'd like to occasionally use pinch to zoom in the Finder (to zoom into a photo thumbnail for example), then add two more gestures, again for Finder ONLY - but this time also selecting one of the modifier keys (e.g. "Option" key). For these gestures set as "Use Apple Default or do nothing".

Together, this enables disabling of the zoom feature (to prevent accidental zooming of the desktop icons for example). But whenever you'd like to zoom into a document or photo etc in a Finder Window (which are also now disabled), you can now simply hold down "Option" key and the Pinch functions work again.

This solution works for me on 10.6.8

Jan 23, 2013 4:06 AM in response to sig

Yes, I am well aware of the age of the thread. What difference does the age of the post make? People (such as myself at least) use Google to search for answers. This thread is one of the hits (among many others that were locked/archived due to age). I then posted my solution for others to find and read/use if they wish. Is that so hard a concept to grasp?

Is there a way to turn off pinch/zoom for the desktop only?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.