Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My keyboard is locked in azerty at login

Hi,

I just bought a new iMac yesterday in the US with a QWERTY keyboard.

During the first launch, I decided to import all my accounts from my macbook pro I bought in France and who has an azerty keyboard.

The result is that my iMac assumed I have an azerty keyboard.

I changed the language back to US for all acounts, but this does not apply to the login window which still considers my keyboard to be an azerty.

I read on a forum that if you change the language to US as root, it applies to the login window. So I enabled the root user and logged in. To my surprise the default language was already set to US. Therefore I did not know what to change.

Question: How can I force the QWERTY keyboard, even on the login window?

Thanks

Thomas

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 26, 2011 10:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2011 11:48 AM

Don't know how you can force it to be ay QWERTY for login. But, you can gain access to the keyboard layout selector at login, which allows you to change the layout and thus log in -

Go to System Preferences > Accounts. Unlock that pane if necessary. Select your login account on the left, then click the Login Options item below that. Look to the middle of the right side of that screen; checkmark the item "Show input method in login window".

As an alternative, you can also set your normal account for "Automatic login" on that same page. This removes the need to log in at startup. Doing this also decreases security, meaning any person who boots your machine will have access to it. There's no way anyone else has access to my machine, so I use the automatic login feature.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2011 11:48 AM in response to tom_deschamps

Don't know how you can force it to be ay QWERTY for login. But, you can gain access to the keyboard layout selector at login, which allows you to change the layout and thus log in -

Go to System Preferences > Accounts. Unlock that pane if necessary. Select your login account on the left, then click the Login Options item below that. Look to the middle of the right side of that screen; checkmark the item "Show input method in login window".

As an alternative, you can also set your normal account for "Automatic login" on that same page. This removes the need to log in at startup. Doing this also decreases security, meaning any person who boots your machine will have access to it. There's no way anyone else has access to my machine, so I use the automatic login feature.

My keyboard is locked in azerty at login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.