Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to connect iMAC thunderbolt port to a cable TV set top box?

I am moving to a house that will have combination TV-phone-Internet services delivered via cable (Optimum is the provider). I understand that with my new iMac which has a "thunderbolt" port that I can use the iMac as a tv monitor and DVR (recorder) and watch live TV or recorded TV. I think it is possible to record TV shows either on the iMac's hard drive or the Optimum DVR. Beyond that, I get confused because I do not understand the details of RCA cables, coaxial cables, HDMI connectors, etc. Apple does not provide support for set top boxes (I called Apple), and Optimum does not provide support for Macs (I called them too). Since Apple is the party advertising the capability of watching TV on a Mac, I would think the burden is more on them to explain how that works, and maybe they have done so on their web sites, but I cannot find it so far. I can understand that the cable company does not want to tell people how to bypass the need for their DVR equipment. Before I go out and hire a consultant for a few hundred dollars to explain it, I was hoping I might find online some tips on how to set up a system at home. No luck so far.

Am I correct in assuming that wireless connections are NOT an option because a TV signal has too much bandwidth to work wirelessly? (I do have a wireless router already.)

If so and if I am using wires to connect the iMac, am I correct to think I want to use the thunderbolt port for best results?

If so, what next? What exactly is the adapter or cable I need and how do I plug it into the set top box? There are several people in the household, and so I would want the flat screen TV monitor to work normally at times rather than only use the iMac. Does that require several set top boxes? I would think that this would be an issue for many people, and it seems to me that this forum would be an ideal place to get help. So far the people I have spoken with say "well it depends on what you want to do and what your equipment is and for that you have to go ask ___________[someone else]"

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), free transition Snow Leopard to Lio

Posted on Aug 26, 2011 4:20 PM

7 replies

Aug 26, 2011 8:39 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I do not understand what Apple TV is. I have TV already. When I look up "Apple TV" on the Apple website I see that is has been redesigned to be small in size but big in entertainment. Since I did not know what it was BEFORE it was redesigned, knowing that is has been redesigned does not help me understand it. Now it is smaller? So it was too big before? "Watch Netflix titles instantly." But I can do that with my mac and an internet connection now. So what is Apple TV that makes it a better or different way to watch Netflix movies? "Best of all, Apple TV is just $99" Sorry, but how is that the Best of All part? My Optimum Cable is charging me $30 a month for TV. But Apple TV's best part is it costs $99? Is that per month too? I also see that everything streams wirelessly to Apple TV, and all I need it so connect apple tv to my widescreen TV using an HDMI cable sold separately. Now I am really confused. I plug in a cable to get wireless streaming? If it is wireless, why does it need a cable? If there is a cable involved, how is it wireless? Color me clueless. I cannot find a straight forward description of what Apple TV is. And so I don't get how that is the answer to my question. Sorry for being so simple-minded. Thanks for the suggestion and I will go research further to learn what is an Apple TV.

Aug 26, 2011 9:00 PM in response to chad e4

Chad,

Firstly, I suggest you categorize the content you are wanting to view on your TV (or iMac) into a priortized list, and secondly, list the methods of content delivery available to you.

At the moment, it is near impossible to follow this discusion and sort out what the issues are.

It may be that you won't be able to view all the content you would like to with a single "content delivery" service provider.

For example, if you are happy with your current content provider and are wanting to view that content on your iMac, then, the question may be as simple as, "how do I connect my cable service to my 2011 iMac?"

Let's keep it simple, and the community may be able help you out.

Sep 6, 2011 8:00 AM in response to samberl

Samberi-

I do not have a prioritized list of TV content. The question really is as simple as "how do I connect my cable service to my 2011 iMac" Since posting this question, I have learned that I can purchase from Elgato a number of EyeTV devices that can be used as if they were the set top boxes of the cable company.

rkaufmann87-

Apple TV is NOT an answer since it is designed to allow the user to view internet content on a TV monitor, and my question was how to view TV content on my iMaC screen, in other words the oppostite concept.

So as far as I am conerned this question is answered.

Jan 16, 2013 5:54 PM in response to chad e4

Someone has to have a better answer than Elgato... I have the EyeTV and it's laggy. I want to be able to play xbox games such as Halo on the mac. The Elgato hardware doesn't help with that. Kanex made a device that worked for the iMac version prior to the mid 2011... why not stick a thunderbolt chip in there and make it work for the new one?!

how to connect iMAC thunderbolt port to a cable TV set top box?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.