Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion Installer icon on dock after download - burn a DVD?

Using the up-to-date program, I download my free copy of the Lion installer.

AppleCare tech said I could download it by redeeming my registration code as described in the up-to-date information and install it later.

True enough: I downloaded during dinner - it took 3.5+/- hours when I checked again and the lion in the circle with the arrow sits on my dock and shows as "Install Mac OS X Lion" in the Application folder.

But, the AC techie suggested that I leave it on the dock until I was ready to install. She said don't remove it from my dock. I asked if there was any reason I couldn't remove it when I was certain it existed elsewhere - I really had to convince her this was OK.

If I see the installer in my App folder and have already made one HD backup of the iMac which includes the Lion download (and I will make another tomorrow) is there any reason I can't remove the icon from the dock? I can't think of any, but she was so convinced about my leaving it there and I had to work so hard to convince her that it seemed to me it would be fine to remove it, that I thought I'd ask you experts first before taking action...

And now that I have it, should I also burn a CD (or DVD - it's 3.77 GB) of it for security? Bit-by-bit no encryption I assume?

Thanks,

Mrs H

Posted on Aug 26, 2011 6:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2011 7:08 PM

You can safely remove its Dock icon. Rather than burning the Install Mac OS X Lion.app to disc, CONTROL-click on it->select Show package contents, drill down to the SharedSupport folder, mount the enclosed InstallESD.dmg, and use Disk Utility to restore it to DVD or an empty volume (partition) at least 4 GB in size. That gives you a bootable installer that doesn't get blown away when you do install Lion. Additihonally, if you copy it elsewhere, the copy remains intact after installing. Just my

User uploaded file

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2011 7:08 PM in response to Mrs H

You can safely remove its Dock icon. Rather than burning the Install Mac OS X Lion.app to disc, CONTROL-click on it->select Show package contents, drill down to the SharedSupport folder, mount the enclosed InstallESD.dmg, and use Disk Utility to restore it to DVD or an empty volume (partition) at least 4 GB in size. That gives you a bootable installer that doesn't get blown away when you do install Lion. Additihonally, if you copy it elsewhere, the copy remains intact after installing. Just my

User uploaded file

Aug 26, 2011 7:07 PM in response to Mrs H

this happened to me way back but I was told to just checked the Mac App store and under purchases tab it says it still is installing. So don't look at the dock just go to the purchases tab, if in doubt delete it then redownload it again to make sure its not a corrupted download

on your 2nd question, you can make a bootable USB if you wish there have been discussions on how you can do that. DVD?not sure.

Aug 26, 2011 7:29 PM in response to baltwo

Hi baltwo,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not even ready to install it yet (gulp - if ever - I'm slow on the uptake on this, but I did want to get it while the getting was free.)

baltwo wrote:

You can safely remove its Dock icon. Rather than burning the Install Mac OS X Lion.app to disc, CONTROL-click on it->select Show package contents, drill down to the SharedSupport folder, mount the enclosed InstallESD.dmg, and use Disk Utility to restore it to DVD or an empty volume (partition) at least 4 GB in size. That gives you a bootable installer that doesn't get blown away when you do install Lion. Additihonally, if you copy it elsewhere, the copy remains intact after installing.

I think I get what you are saying, but "drill down" ?

I'm just about to re-partition my HD collection for tertiary backups of our MBP and my brand new iMac and our dellminis. I'll make a 4GB partition for what you suggest above. I did the same with SL (I think/hope I did it correctly) a while back.

Is the procedure the same for a HD partition as you describe for DVD? mount it - where?

"Additihonally, if you copy it elsewhere, the copy remains intact after installing" - sorry, I don't know what you are saying here.

Thanks,

Mrs H

Aug 26, 2011 7:33 PM in response to kisuke3

kisuke3 wrote:

this happened to me way back...

on your 2nd question, you can make a bootable USB if you wish there have been discussions on how you can do that. DVD?not sure.

Bootable USB - of course, I had forgotten that that was a much simpler option. I made one for SL and can do the same for Lion if I remeber how I did it (and also I can make a bootable partition as baltwo describes above).

I have no reason to think my install is corrupt - it looks like a good installer should look - I'm not testing it though since I don't actually want to install Lion. I'm not sure what you are suggesting in your "this happened to me" paragraph. Since I used a free redeem from the uptodate program, I don't think I have the option to re-download - and I'm not sure why I'd want to...

Mrs H.

Aug 26, 2011 11:47 PM in response to Mrs H

Drilling down means traversing the directory's heirarchy.

User uploaded file

When you double-click on the InstallESD.dmg, it mounts on the Desktop and is a virtual disk, just like any other disk. If you run the installer you downloaded, part of its installation is to delete itself when the job's done. Appparently, Apple doesn't thing people want to retain 3.6 GB DLs. So, the idea is to copy it elsewhere, so when the installation is finished, only tha one in Applications is deleted, not the one you copied elsewhere.

Aug 27, 2011 5:14 AM in response to baltwo

Thanks, very helpful information.

I don't see the package thing yet - but I haven't clicked on the installer that I downloaded - as I said I don't want to do the install anytime soon. I'm sure it'll be there - just like every other install I've download.

"...part of its installation is to delete itself when the job's done." Is this always been the case with installers? After I've downloaded and installed an update (say) the package is still there in my download folder where it lived before I did the install.

I've always saved those packages - to reuse just in case.

Your screen shot makes everything you said clear.

Thank you,

Mrs H

Aug 27, 2011 5:43 AM in response to baltwo

One last thought/question:

if I am going to repartition my HD, what size volume will the install of Lion need? The installer package is 3.7GB - I think you are saying don't just copy that to the volume, but open it and install it there to make that a bootable volume? Am I right here?

So - a tiny - 10GB volume reserved for Lion when I get around to opening it - and just put it as is on the volume now??

Mrs H

Aug 27, 2011 9:18 AM in response to baltwo

In fact, I saved a tiny 30 GB volume partition for Lion on the external.

For the time being, can I just drag and drop to copy "Install Mac OS X Lion" from the Application folder on my iMac into the new partition on the HD? I think yes, but I just don't want to do something that will make the original disappear - I trust this is nothing fancy, just another installer.

Mrs H

Aug 27, 2011 11:23 AM in response to Mrs H

Mrs H wrote:

"...part of its installation is to delete itself when the job's done." Is this always been the case with installers?

No. This is unique to Lion and I surmise anything else DL'd from the Apple Store.

A separate 4-10 GB partition for a RESTORED InstallESD, mounted image, will suffice and allow you to boot with it and install the OS elsewhere. It's not where you install Lion.

You can drag & drop the installer onto the 30 GB partition, but why? If that's where you'll be installing Lion, I wouldn't. Save it elsewhere.

Get a bootable, ext HD, preferably FireWire,

and make a bootable backup/clone before updating. That allows you to revert to the previous good state without having to reinstall everything. Then, peruse these

http://www.macmaps.com/upgradefaq.html

http://www.macmaps.com/backup.html

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/installswupdates.html

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/backuprecovery.html

Aug 27, 2011 11:48 AM in response to baltwo

baltwo wrote:

A separate 4-10 GB partition for a RESTORED InstallESD, mounted image, will suffice and allow you to boot with it and install the OS elsewhere. It's not where you install Lion.

You can drag & drop the installer onto the 30 GB partition, but why? If that's where you'll be installing Lion, I wouldn't. Save it elsewhere.

Get a bootable, ext HD, preferably FireWire,

and make a bootable backup/clone before updating.

I'm the queen of bootable backups. I use SuperDuper and LaCie d2 Quadras with firewire 800 cable. I also have 2 rikiki go's - LaCie's mini mobile USB2 HD, one of which lives in our safe deposit box with backups of the computers and dups of the photo files.

In fact, I have 4 backups each for the MBP and the iMac,

I just wanted to make a copy and save the Lion installer for later use on one of the backups separately from sitting in the app folder on the iMac - and hence in its backups.

Really I don't intend to upgrade to Lion any time soon (I'm a bit slow on the updates - our MBP still runs happily in Tiger so we can access old and necessary apps and our scanner)

I haven't had a chance to check your links yet, thanks for supplying them. I just wanted to get back ASAP and clarify.

So, in my situation, drag and drop of installer for the time being is a fine thing to do? That's not ultimately where it would be installed.

Mrs H

PS I've seen several threads about troubles with LaCie HDs and Lion. A bit worrisome - but as they say, folks who write here are the ones with the problems/issues - not the millions who are just cruising along fine with no problems.

Nov 17, 2011 12:29 AM in response to baltwo

Re. Creating a Lion DVD installation disc.

Hello, baltwo, you have just helped me enormously, with your instruction to CONTROL-CLICK. I currently run SL 10.6.8, and intend to upgrade to Lion. After downloading it from the App store, I was flummoxed, as I could not find the essential INSTALLESG.dmg file. I was busily right-clicking as per the instructions I had accessed, instead of control-clicking. Many thanks again

Ken Martin

Lion Installer icon on dock after download - burn a DVD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.