Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Macbook freezes after using it for awhile

I startup my MacBook (aluminum 2008 verions) running lion 10.7.1 and after about 5 minutes of using it, my computer displays the rainbow cursor and freezes. I am unable to click on anything or force quit.

My processor is 2.4 Ghz and has 2Gb ram.

It would be great if someone could give me any thoughts ASAP as I have an assignment due next week and need my computer.

Thanks in advance

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Aug 26, 2011 6:57 PM

17 replies

Aug 28, 2011 6:06 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks, I have tried to boot in safe mode and It doesnt freeze but when I go back into normal mode it freezes still.

I have tried to boot it up using the install disk and then run a disk repair from disk utility and then booted it up using safe mode and run a disk permission repair from disk utility. It repaired some stuff but it sill freezes when i switch back to normal mode.

I have taken it into an Apple service provider (as I dont have an Apple store in my location) but they are full and will not be able to look at it till next week.

So any thoughts would be much appreciated

Aug 28, 2011 7:57 PM in response to matt_4124

Your problem is caused by third-party software that you installed. I'd need more information to be more specific.

Reboot as usual (not in safe mode) if you haven't already done so. Launch the Terminal application, copy or drag -- do not type -- the line of text below into the window, and press return:

kextstat -kl | awk ' !/apple/ { print $6 $7 } '

Post the lines of output (if any) that appear below what you just entered (the text, please, not a screenshot.)

Next, do the same thing with this line:

sudo launchctl list | sed 1d | awk ' !/0x|apple|com\.vix|edu\.|org\./ { print $3 } '

That's one line, not two. You'll be prompted for your login password, which won't be displayed when you type it. You may get a one-time warning not to screw up. You don't need to post the warning.

Next, this command:

launchctl list | sed 1d | awk ' !/0x|apple|edu\.|org\./ { print $3 } '

Again, one line. Finally, one more:

ls -1 /Library/{InputManagers,StartupItems}

Remember, this is all drag-and-drop or copy-and-paste, whichever you prefer -- no typing, except your password.

You can then quit Terminal.

Aug 28, 2011 9:52 PM in response to Linc Davis

This is the longest I have been able to use my mac in normal mode every since Saturday. I dont want to be so quick in saying but I think you have found the solution!

You do not know how happy I am that this is sorted out. Now I can focus on my assignments that are due next week.

I just realized that this all happened when I ran a full system 'antivirus' scan on saturday and then it froze for the first time.

Would you recommend any Antivirus program or is it something not neccessary?

Thanks again, I will post a comment on here if it happens again.

Oct 14, 2011 10:04 AM in response to Linc Davis

@Linc Davis:

I'm having the EXACT same problem.... I just did the terminal thing, and this is what i got.

FIRST COMMAND:

com.rim.driver.BlackBerryUSBDriverInt(0.0.67)

SECOND COMMAND:

com.rim.BBDaemon

com.google.keystone.daemon

com.flipvideo.FlipShareServer.launchd

THIRD COMMAND:

com.rim.BBLaunchAgent

com.google.keystone.root.agent

com.flipvideo.FlipShareAutoRun

FOURTH COMMAND:

ls: /Library/InputManagers: No such file or directory

/Library/StartupItems:

So it looks like my it's being caused either by my Blackberry Desktop application, or my Flipcam? Should I uninstall both of those?

Thanks 🙂

My Macbook freezes after using it for awhile

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.