Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule

I have BT HomeHub. Just bought Time capsule but it refuses to join the netwrk. Any ideasplease. Very frustrated!

Dual 2.7 GHz PowerPC G5, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Aug 27, 2011 12:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2011 6:23 AM

Can you clarify what you mean when you say that you are trying to configure the TC to "join" the network?

Are you trying to connect the Time Capsule using a wired Ethernet connection to the BT HomeHub? (Recommended)

Or, are you trying to connect the Time Capsule to the BT network using wireless only?

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2011 6:23 AM in response to Gary D-E

Can you clarify what you mean when you say that you are trying to configure the TC to "join" the network?

Are you trying to connect the Time Capsule using a wired Ethernet connection to the BT HomeHub? (Recommended)

Or, are you trying to connect the Time Capsule to the BT network using wireless only?

Aug 27, 2011 6:46 AM in response to Gary D-E

can open AirPort Utility and but if I click Manual Setup it switches network and I lose internet connection.

This is normal. The Time Capsule is broadcasting a default wireless network with a name like Apple Network xxxxx. If you want to configure the Time Capsule using wireless, you must switch networks and log on to that network so AirPort Utility can communicate with the Time Capsule for the configuration.

If you don't want to use wireless, and you have a spare Ethernet cable handy, connect it from your computer directly to one of the LAN <-> ports on the Time Capsule.

Make sure that the Ethernet cable from the BT device connects to the WAN port (circle icon) on the Time Capsule

Open AirPort Utiliity and click Continue to follow the guided setup to "create a wireless network". If you prefer, I can give you the steps for a manual configuration.

Aug 27, 2011 6:59 AM in response to Gary D-E

But once I go down that route I won't be able to use the internet to get back to you.

Once you have the Time Capsule configured with your new wireless network.....let's call it "Gary" for example, you will look for this network from your computer and log on using the password that you established for the wireless network. Then you will be connected to the Internet again.

Or, if things go wrong during the setup, all you have to do is look for your BT wireless network and log on to establish an Internet connection that way.

Temporarily.....while you configure the Time Capsule.....you are not connected to the Internet. Once you have it configured, you will be able to connect to the Time Capsule network or your BT network....whichever you choose.

Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.