Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme Network

I just installed a 5th generation Airport Extreme 802.11 n, replacing a third generation Airport Extreme 802.11g. I want to extend my network range. Can I use the AP 3rd gen 802.11 g to extend my primary 5th gen AP 802.11 n. network?????

Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.6.4), MB Pro

Posted on Aug 27, 2011 6:47 AM

14 replies

Aug 27, 2011 10:12 AM in response to JRCorv

If you plan to extend using wireless only, unfortunately you will have to use a WDS type setting on both AirPort routers. There are some real penalties associated with this setting:

• WDS operates only in "g" wireless mode, so you lose all of the faster "n" capability of your new AirPort.
  • The wireless network bandwidth will be cut in half. So, while you will have a bit more wireless coverage, you will have a "g" wireless network running at half speed
  • WDS is a difficult configuration for most users. It's easy to make a mistake and tough to recover without resetting the device and starting all over when things don't work

It would be much, much better if you could connect the old AirPort to the new AirPort using a wired Ethernet connection. The configuration is much simpler and the new AirPort will run at maximum speeds.

Aug 29, 2011 7:22 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Good Morning Bob,

Thanks for the previous information.

Over the weekend I thought of two scenerios and I need your opinion.

1. I hate to see the older Extreme just sit and go to waste.

As you mentioned, hard Ethernet wire it to the new Extreme to prevent losing the n on the new one.

Can I put it in another room using Ethernet Powerline Adapters.

2. Or can I just intiate a new wieless g network in another part of the house.

I do get pretty good coverage throughout the house now.

I have a Verizon FIOS router coming in and the Ariport Extreme n, in the office.

Thanks for your help,

Joe

Aug 29, 2011 7:41 AM in response to JRCorv

hard Ethernet wire it to the new Extreme to prevent losing the n on the new one. Can I put it in another room using Ethernet Powerline Adapters

That would be your best choice if you cannot run an Ethernet cable from the "new" AirPort Extreme to the location where you plan to install the "old" AirPort Extreme.

2. Or can I just intiate a new wieless g network in another part of the house.

Not sure what you mean here. If you do not connect the "old" AirPort Extreme to the "new" one using an Ethernet connection, the "wireless g network" will not be able to connect to the Internet.

Aug 29, 2011 1:10 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I apologize for keeping this ongoing.

I guess my thought process was wrong.

I have an incoming Verizon router for phone, internet and TV.

I have it hard wired (Ethernet) to my new Airport Extreme.

When I go on my iphone, ipad or any of my computers ,I have 2 networks I can access.

The FIOS or the Airport.

I just thought I could initiate another Airport network wtth the old g Airport Extreme.

So it would be usable.

Thanks

Aug 29, 2011 1:18 PM in response to JRCorv

Sorry for the confusion.

So, are you asking if you can connect the "old" AirPort Extreme.....using wireless only....and have it provide more wireless coverage?

Or, are you asking if you can connect the "old" AirPort Extreme to the "new" AirPort Extreme using an Ethernet cable connection and have the old AirPort Extreme provide more wireless coverage that way?

If neither of the above is correct, please describe what function the "old" AirPort Extreme would perform on your network. In other words, what service would it provide?

Aug 29, 2011 1:40 PM in response to JRCorv

Sure, connect via Ethernet and configure the old Extreme to "create a wireless network". It's very important that the Extreme be configured in Bridge Mode for things to work correctly.

The wireless network would have a different network name than your other "networks". So, you will have to look for the network and log on when you want to connect to that network.

IF....you assign the same wireless network name to the old Extreme as your new AirPort Extreme, and use the same security setting and password.....you will be able to "walk" your laptop from the area near the new AirPort Extreme to the area near the old Extreme and not have to "switch" networks. The laptop will automatically pick up the wireless access point with the strongest signal.

Post back if you need step by step by step for any of the configurations above.

Aug 29, 2011 2:16 PM in response to JRCorv

Perform a Factory Default Reset on the old AirPort Extreme (AEBS)

Power down the AEBS by pulling the power plug from the back of the device

Hold in the reset button and keep holding it in for 8-10 seconds while you plug the power back in

Release the reset button and allow 40-45 seconds for the AEBS to restart to a slow blinking amber light

Connect an Ethernet cable from one of the LAN <-> ports on the new AEBS to the WAN port (circle of dots icon) on the old AEBS

Open AirPort Utility - Select the old AEBS - Click Manual Setup

Click the Base Station tab located below the row of icons to assign a device name to the AEBS, device password, adjust Time Zone settings, etc.

Click the Wireless tab

Wireles Mode = Create a wireless network

Wireless Network Name = Your choice

Radio Mode = 802.11b/g compatible

Channel = Automatic

Wireless Security = Recommend WPA2 Personal or WPA/WPA2 Personal

Wireless Password = Your choice

Confirm Password

Click the Internet icon

Click the Internet Connection tab below the icon

Connect Using = Ethernet

Connection Sharing = Off (Bridge Mode)

Update to save settings and allow 40-45 seconds for the AEBS to display a green light

Very important.....power off the entire network....all devices.....order is not important

Start the modem first and let it run by itself for a moment or two

Start the new AEBS the same way

Start the old AEBS the same way

Continue starting devices one at a time about a minute apart until everything is powered back up

Check the network for proper operation.

Airport Extreme Network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.