Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ethernet slow to connect after waking from sleep

Since installing Lion (and updating to 10.7.1) on my 2008 24" iMac I have noticed that after waking from sleep the internet connection takes about 10 seconds to restore. I have reset the SMC and PRAM and performed a safe boot (in case this helped) but to no avail. The slow conenction can be observed if after waking from sleep the Network System Preference is clicked and the ethernet status "light" is red, changes briefly to amber and then green indcating a connection. The iMac is connected via an ethernet cable to a Linksys 802.11n 4 port wireless router.

I also have a 2010 13" MacBook Pro, with the same OS, and version, conencted in the same way to the same Linksys router and it does not exhibit this problem.

This slow internet connection access after waking from sleep is an annoyance and I'd appreciate any input on how to elimnate it.

Thanks to those wiser than I, who might read this note.

Mac OS X (10.6.1), iMac & MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 27, 2011 7:52 AM

7 replies

Oct 29, 2011 10:43 AM in response to Chris Lyons

Same problem here, and I can't find any solutions via the forums or google.

I can boot into Snow Leopard on the same machine and there the ethernet connection and internet availability is restored almost immediately. In Lion I have to wait 4-5 minutes before any internet connection is reachable.

Also, again only in Lion, I have had to enter my own DNS servers as the DHCP auto-setup does not fill in the DNS entries in Lion (they get filled in properly in SL).

Hopefully someone can reply with a solution.

Oct 29, 2011 1:07 PM in response to Chris Lyons

SOLUTION FOUND!

I've found a list of possible solutions here's the link:

http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/22/wifi-dropping-in-os-x-lion-fixes/

I solved my problem moving the Ethernet and WiFi adapters in the top of the list and Bluetooth at the end.

Move Wi-Fi to the top of the Service Order list – This is an old tip that simply prioritizes WiFi as the primary method that your Mac should connect to the internet, and it seems to help maintain connections

Ethernet slow to connect after waking from sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.