Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hindi language font

Hello,

where can I download hindi language font for snow leopard? I think it is present in installation disk but I misplaced it and want to download the font from apple's website (and not 3rd party on the web). also, would like hindi keyboard simulator so as to type hindi text on my mac.

thanks

-kamal

Posted on Aug 27, 2011 10:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2011 11:23 AM

OS X comes with fonts and keyboards for Hindi installed by default. Have you gone to system prefs/language & text/input sources and checked the box for Devanagari? Plus the box for Show Input Menu in Menu Bar. Then select Devanagari in the "flag" menu at the top right of the screen and type.

Do you see the word "hindi" here: हिन्दी ?

If not, I can send you the font. You cannot download such things from Apple, you have to use the install disk.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2011 11:23 AM in response to kamal_prasad

OS X comes with fonts and keyboards for Hindi installed by default. Have you gone to system prefs/language & text/input sources and checked the box for Devanagari? Plus the box for Show Input Menu in Menu Bar. Then select Devanagari in the "flag" menu at the top right of the screen and type.

Do you see the word "hindi" here: हिन्दी ?

If not, I can send you the font. You cannot download such things from Apple, you have to use the install disk.

Aug 27, 2011 11:26 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

No -it is not installed by default meaning System Preferenes ->Languages & text->language does not have hindi

Input sources does have devanagri qwerty but I am not sure how to start using it.

I can see & cut paste " hindi" here: हिन्दी ?" - but am unable to make changes to the text here because clicking on "abc" icon above shows limited set of languages i.e. English, French, German, Italian and Spanish.

If being able to cut/paste hindi text means the font is installed, then I would be interested in figuring how to use the font.

thanks

-kamal

Aug 28, 2011 2:54 AM in response to kamal_prasad

system prefs/language & text/language plays no role in reading or writing Hindi. The abc icon is not relevant either. To input Devanagari someplace you simply select its keyboard in the "flag" menu and type.

To see which key does what on the keyboard, go back to system prefs/language & text/input sources and check the box for Keyboard Viewer. Then after you select Devanagari in the "flag" menu, select Show Keyboard Viewer in the same place.

Here is an example of how you type something using Devanagari Qwerty: h i n f d shift+i will give you हिन्दी

Just write back again if you need further help.

Aug 29, 2011 2:43 AM in response to kamal_prasad

kamal_prasad wrote:

had a problem with locating a symbol for typing "pr" in prasad.

I'm sure it is possible. Here are some instructions that may help with the two keyboards:

"To generate default conjuncts, type the first character followed by the Halant (also called Virama) key, then the next character. To generate explicit half-forms for alternative conjuncts, or independent half-forms, type the character followed by the Halant key and the Nukta key. To generate an "eyelash RA," type RA plus Nukta plus Halant. To generate a Nukta consonant, type the character plus Nukta. To prevent conjuncts, type two Halants.

Note that the Halant/Virama key is the D key on Devanagari keyboards and the F key on Devanagari-QWERTY keyboards. The Nukta key is the ] key on Devanagari keyboards and the Shift-F key on Devanagari-QWERTY keyboards. RA is the J key on Devanagari keyboards and the R key on Devanagari-QWERTY keyboards."

Jan 29, 2016 10:14 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Tom, Thanks for sharing the clear instructions.

One can also mark the checkbox to on the input source tab on keyboard settings in system preference, this will show a little country flag on the menu bar where one can select the keyboard from a quick dropdown. While adding Hindi Keyboard one can add "Hindi Transliteration" which is very convenient. one does not have to remember a new keyboard layout. Hindi Transliteration will allow one to type in english phonetics which will automatically convert into hindi words and matching words will show up as choices to select using numeric keys.

hindi language font

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.