Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Download taking forever. Any ideas why?

I started my download of Lion last night before I went to sleep. After about 2 hours of not really doing anything, a notice appeared saying that the download stopped because my volume did not have enough space. So I cleared some space for Lion by deleting old and useless files. I now have about 10 G of free space on my Macbook Pro but after 7 hours of the download working (after I restarted it due to the space issue) the download shows the bar only at about halfway and it says "About an hour and 10 minutes remaining." However, that 10 minutes just keeps changing from 8 to 9 to 10 and back to 8 again without really ever moving.

Long story short, this download is taking forever, at least 7 to 8 hours so far and all I have to show for it is a half full status barI

I have been reading a lot of bad reviews and based on my experience so far, I am thinking that I should just cancel the download now (because Apple has not charged my account the 30 dollars yet) and wait until some bugs are fixed with Lion. Is that a good route to take considering the odd download? Or is there something I could do to speed up the download? I mostly want Lion for the Boot Camp feature so that I can also run Windows when I need to but I am also pretty stoked about a lot of the cosmetic and convenience factors of it as well. Is it worth trying to speed up the download?

Also, I'm running on a 2009 Snow Leopard equipped 13' Macbook Pro with an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor. Thanks for the help.

Posted on Aug 27, 2011 10:10 AM

1 reply

Aug 27, 2011 1:17 PM in response to devonscott

If all you have is 10 GB of free space on your hard drive I'd bet it's close to being trashed. You need to maintain at least 10-15% free space so your OS doesn't get mucked up. (It probably is). Delete more files and get some more breathing space. Then boot from your SL OS installer disk and run Repair Disk from Disk Utility. Then give it another try.

Download taking forever. Any ideas why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.