Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I get any free books with the ipad to download if so how do I find them?

I purchased the ipad2 today and on setting up a box asked if I wanted to get some books for my library thingy but somehow it didn't work. I can't even find the short cut for the app. Did I imagine it or do I get some free apps? Many thanks.

iPad 2

Posted on Aug 27, 2011 10:50 AM

4 replies

Aug 27, 2011 10:55 AM in response to stevenfromreading

You only get the built-in apps pre-installed. There are a number of free apps, games and ebooks in the iTunes App Store on your computer (or App Store app on your iPad) which you can download.

You can download the free iBooks app where you can read the free or paid books that you download from Apple. You can also download the free Kindle app from the store and then get free or paid books from Amazon's website.

The iPad manual can be downloaded from here : http://support.apple.com/manuals/#ipad . It has a chapter on each of the built-in apps plus iBooks.

Aug 27, 2011 12:02 PM in response to stevenfromreading

Anything that is in the public domain is free to download. Every year many new books become part of the public domain as their copyright expires. Many PD books are available free in the iTunes bookstore, and I also highly recommend the app Stanza, which allows you to search many online sources for books, including Project Gutenberg which is an open source PD repository. Google Books app is also good for searching books that are in the PD or that Google has scanned.

Of course PD works can also be marketed by publishers, so make sure you don't pay for anything that should be free! For example You can download Moby Dick for free or for money in ibooks bookstore, so best to search Project Gutenberg first.

Hope this helps!

Do I get any free books with the ipad to download if so how do I find them?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.