Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is the Server Assistant?

One thing that has really been rubbing me the wrong way about Lion Server is the lack of accuracy in the migration documentation. It refers to the "Server Assistant", but I don't encounter it running anywhere, and when I reinstall the server, it doesn't ask me if I want to migrate settings.

I have an old XSERVE G4 with 10.5.8 Leopard Server, and the documentation (http://images.apple.com/macosx/server/docs/Upgrading_and_Migrating_v10.7.pdf) states on page 26 that I need to utilize the Server Assistant (not the Migration Assistant) to migrate my data on my 10.5 server to 10.7.

I have reinstalled and played around with various scenarios over 10 times now, and have come up empty, unable to resolve this issue. Does anyone have any ideas, or accomplished this successfully yet?

Thanks in advance!

~Mike

Mac Mini MB464LL, Mac OS X (10.7.1), 4GB RAM, Server

Posted on Aug 27, 2011 5:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2011 8:55 AM

I am not sure, but I remember I did the following:

install Lion (client),

set fixed IP address

downloaded Server.app

upgrade to server

then it asks a series of questions, (this is the mentioned 'Server Assistant"

and one of them is I want to use data from old server.

I did set up a new one, but I think this is the point where you can point to the old server.

In 10.6 you needed the old server (disk) to be available as a volume, for example in firewire target disk mode.

hope this helps

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2011 8:55 AM in response to Miggl

I am not sure, but I remember I did the following:

install Lion (client),

set fixed IP address

downloaded Server.app

upgrade to server

then it asks a series of questions, (this is the mentioned 'Server Assistant"

and one of them is I want to use data from old server.

I did set up a new one, but I think this is the point where you can point to the old server.

In 10.6 you needed the old server (disk) to be available as a volume, for example in firewire target disk mode.

hope this helps

Aug 31, 2011 10:09 AM in response to Maurits Sanders

That's what I thought as well, but I never got the screen that asked me if I wanted to migrate from another server. And I tried reinstalling over 10 times (not just for this reason, but there were other issues). I did have my other server connected in target disk mode, like the documentation says, but the question never appeared in the "Server Assistant".

Anyway, for me the situation resolved itself by copying over everything by hand. I had other issues with migration as well, that made me think its generally a bad idea to "dirty" up LION with preference files and other gunk from SNOW LEOPARD.

Thanks for your response though.

Sep 30, 2011 1:17 PM in response to Miggl

Okay, so the Migration document is incorrect about what triggers the Server Assistant (or at least the process doesn't work as documented-it looks like the Server.app install doesn't remove the correct file).

But the solution to get it to work is pretty simple:

- Have the Server components installed.

- boot into single-user mode.

at the command line run the following:

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/AppleSetupDone.something (I don't recall the extension, but tab completion will fill it out)

Reboot and (I believe this requires having a valid 10.5.8-10.6.8 or greater server drive attached) the Assistant won't be the standard client Migration Assistant, but the Server Assistant and you will be asked if you want to migrate.

Transfer and go (haven't gotten that far yet, it's still in progress, but at least it's going). No idea if this will actually work, particularly given the other issues, but at least it's a start.

Oct 22, 2011 2:21 PM in response to damien6669

I'm now just getting a Welcome screen.

It says In just a few steps, you can register and setup you Mac server.

Underneath is a large white blank space

then greyed out Go Back and Continue buttons in the centre with a spinning progress wheel to the left that stays there.

It just stays on this screen and won't let me progress through the wizard

any ideas

Where is the Server Assistant?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.