Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rotating video in final cut pro x

Hi all some video has mistakenly been taken with the camera tilted 😕 as it was thought it could be rotated so my question, Is it possible to rotate video 90 degrees in final cut pro x?

Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 27, 2011 10:14 PM

11 replies

Sep 1, 2017 8:46 AM in response to andynick

When I wrote my reply (all those years ago) I was unaware that if footage is shot with an iPhone in portrait mode, even if you rotate it with Final Cut Pro X, the orientation stays the same (so much of your footage is cropped).

The only workaround I have found for this is to use Quick Time Player > Edit > Rotate Left (or right, etc) and then quit QT Player and you'll get the option to save the file.

I'd be interested to hear of a better workflow!

Sep 1, 2017 9:25 AM in response to andynick

andynick wrote:

When I wrote my reply (all those years ago) I was unaware that if footage is shot with an iPhone in portrait mode, even if you rotate it with Final Cut Pro X, the orientation stays the same (so much of your footage is cropped).

The only workaround I have found for this is to use Quick Time Player > Edit > Rotate Left (or right, etc) and then quit QT Player and you'll get the option to save the file.

I'd be interested to hear of a better workflow!

If you record video with your iPhone in a vertical orientation, the resulting video's dimensions will be different than the usual ones.

For example, your clip may end being 1080x1920 instead of 1920x1080.

If you choose Open Clip and rotate, it will be cropped, because the clip size does not change.

A few options:

1) just leave the clip as is. When you add this to, say a 1080p project (1920x1080), rotate the clip in the timeline; you should change Spatial Conform to None.

2) make a 1080 compound clip, add your vertical clip there, rotate; also change Spatial Conform to None. Then use this compound clip in a project instead of the original.

Aug 28, 2011 7:58 AM in response to hafken

If you right-click a clip in the Browser and "Open In Timeline", you are working on that Master Clip, the changes stick. Then it appears with corrections in all timelines, be the cip, compound clip, or project timelines. You often have to open it in it's own Timeline as the Inspector doesn't always give you all functions directly in the Browser.

Rotating video in final cut pro x

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.