Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After update to 10.7.1 /var/db/BootCache.playlist is deleted

I have reloaded Lion server at least a dozen times and it keeps happening after I update to 10.7.1 /var/db/BootCache.playlist gets deleted. I dont know ifs its something I am doing wrong when setting up my server but this is getting crazy. I only host a website and use as email server for that website. Does anyone think it might be, I set up the Server HD as a sharepoint? This is the only thing I can think of? Has anyone else had this problem? I also change the greylisting feature using Terminal but I am changing no files near /var/db/. Any ideas cause 12 times of setting up a server is making me mad? Thanks!

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Aug 27, 2011 11:24 PM

7 replies

Sep 17, 2011 12:50 PM in response to flacojo32

i have the exact same issue with a Mac Mini i just purchased. when booting to verbose mode i get:

BootCacheControl: Unable to open /var/db/BootCache.playlist: 2 No such file or directory

launchctl: Dubious permissions on file (skipping): /Library/LaunchDaemons

launchctl: Dubious permissions on file (skipping): /System/Library/LaunchDaemons

...and just when we purchase our first Mac server...

Sep 17, 2011 3:49 PM in response to schaef3r

solved my problem. looks like the file is there just not accessible?

got on the phone with Apple and did the following:

- booted to Restore disk (Command + R on boot) and ran Repair Disk and Repair Permissions through Disk Utility (on the server OS HDD).

- then went Apple --> Select Boot Disk --> Selected the server HDD --> Restart

after this i was able to boot up normally, but the Firmware update hadn't applied. before doing any more software updates i made a clone of my server on an external HDD using Disk Utility --> select server OS HDD --> Restore tab --> Destination: External HDD (note, you'll lose anything on the external drive)

after getting the clone i did the firmware update without a hitch.

unrelated to this, the fan on my Mac Mini was going full blast all the time. the fix was to pull out all the cords and let it rest for 30 seconds, then plug everything back in.

hope this helps someone.

Sep 20, 2011 8:02 AM in response to schaef3r

Thanks SO much for posting this schaef3r!!! You don't know how thankful I am.... I have a huge deadline for my work, and not even Apple Phone support could help. I was booked in to see a Genius, which I didn't want to wait for - and now I don't!!

My issue arose when I removed the 'wheel' group from the permissions on my hard drive, and every recursive folder and file. It cause huge dramas, so I restarted... and then got to the Apple Logo and Spinning Wheel hang issue. Disk Utility was the answer!!

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Apr 4, 2015 1:10 AM in response to schaef3r

MY MAN!!! You have no idea how much this helped. Originally, repairing permissions was what caused my computer to go into this whole mess in the first place. Going through that process again was the LAST thing I would have imagined would fix my problem. But it did it! You are simply a genius. And by that I mean a real genius, not one of those dummies at the Apple store.

This is what worked for me:

- booted to Restore disk (Command + R on boot) and ran Repair Disk and Repair Permissions through Disk Utility (on the server OS HDD).

- then went Apple --> Startup Disk --> Selected Macintosh HD --> Restart

After update to 10.7.1 /var/db/BootCache.playlist is deleted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.