Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine (Snow Leopard) not appearing in Migration Assistant (Lion)

Hi there,

I have an iMac that was running Snow Leopard with a Time Machine backup on a 1TB Iomega USB2 Ext HDD.

I just Erased and Installed Lion onto the iMac, expecting to use Migration Assistant to restore my files. However, Migration Assistant does not recognise my Time Machine Ext HDD, only the iMac's HDD, and it keeps searching for other computers.

The Ext HDD is there in Finder, and I can copy files to and from it... it just won't appear in Migration Assistant. I've patched Lion to 10.7.1, but that doesn't help.

I've read elsewhere about a Snow Leopard patch, but that doesn't seem to apply for Ext HDDs, only for backups from other computers.

I can copy things over manually, but was hoping to avoid it. Besdies taking a while, I'm not entirely sure how to restore all my iPhone data to iTunes and the like.

Any one got any advice?

Thanks.

21.5" 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.5), 4 GB 1067MHz DDR3

Posted on Aug 28, 2011 3:03 AM

11 replies

Aug 28, 2011 5:11 AM in response to Pagaille

Hi Pagaille,

No error messages. At least, not in Finder. I wasn't running Console. Time Machine Ext HDD connected directly to my iMac via one of the rear USB ports.

Below is a screenshot of Migration Assistant. It just keeps looking for other computers. If I click Continue it only finds the iMac's HDD. The Time Machine Ext HDD is DEFINITELY connected and turned on. I've checked. Many times. 😉

User uploaded file

Aug 28, 2011 5:21 AM in response to Pagaille

Not sure if this is significant, but the Time Machine Ext HDD icon is yellow with the USB symbol on it, not green with the Time Machine symbol. It *was* green when I was using it in Snow Leopard, so I'm not sure why it no longer is. Possibly this explains why the system doesn't recognise the drive as a Time Machine—it sees it only as a generic USB Ext HDD.

So then the question becomes, why does Lion not recognise a previously functioning Time Machine Backup as a Time Machine Backup?

Oct 17, 2011 10:39 AM in response to ben2k11

I'm having the same problem. I was using the older version of firewire to connect my Time Machine drive to my 10.6 mac. I don't have a new version of the cord or converter plug, so I'm trying to connect the Time Machine drive via USB to the new machine. Plain old not showing up. Really, nothing is showing up in the window, even though I have lots of drives all over the place on the network. Oof...

Time Machine (Snow Leopard) not appearing in Migration Assistant (Lion)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.