Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Retrieving deleted photos from iphone

I accidentally deleted some photos and videos on my iphone which I had not back up. Is there anyway that I can retrieve these photos?

iPhone 4, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Aug 28, 2011 6:44 AM

19 replies

Aug 28, 2011 6:46 AM in response to Jerm5497

With no backup, no.

The Camera Roll is for temporary storage. Photos/videos in the Camera Roll can and should be imported by your computer ASAP as with any other digital camera. The Camera Roll is also included with the iPhone's backup, which is updated by iTunes as the first step during the iTunes sync process.

If the photos/videos were not imported by your computer and your iPhone wasn't synced with iTunes since the photos/videos were captured by your iPhone, there is no way to recover them.

Aug 28, 2011 7:12 AM in response to Jerm5497

Copied from my previous post.

The Camera Roll is also included with the iPhone's backup, which is updated by iTunes as the first step during the iTunes sync process.

If you synced your iPhone with iTunes since the photos were captured by your iPhone several months ago and you haven't synced your iPhone with iTunes since the photos were deleted from your iPhone, you can try restoring your iPhone with iTunes from your iPhone's backup. Do not sync your iPhone with iTunes before doing so, and when prompted to update your iPhone's backup as the first step after selecting Restore, decline the prompt or your iPhone's backup will be overwritten reflecting the contents of your iPhone's Camera Roll now.

Since the Camera Roll is for temporary storage as with any other digital camera, start importing photos/videos that were captured by your iPhone with your computer as with any other digital camera. Apple includes two applications that provide for this on every Mac - iPhoto and the Image Capture application. When there are photos/videos in the Camera Roll, your iPhone is also detected as a digital camera when connected to your computer.

Nov 24, 2012 12:00 PM in response to Jerm5497

I'm experiencing a similar deleted photos problem. I didn't realize that "sync" wasn't backing up the photos, and my last available "backup" date (before the photos were deleted) is from 6 months ago.

My question is, before I give up, are there possibly some temp files somewhere on my computer where the photo data might be saved? A last ditch hope...

Running Windows 7 if that helps. Thanks!

Nov 28, 2012 6:27 PM in response to DavidBC

Hi David, there is a way but sadly I am not allowed to say so here, as you can see above it says <Edited By Host> which means Apple removed some of my message.

I would suggest you Google "recover photos iPhone" and avoid software that uses the iTunes backup as that is what you are missing.

Lets hope that this reply is allowed by Apple 😟

Nov 28, 2012 11:06 PM in response to Gerard Van Schip

Gerard, I appreciate the tip. But if it's the first link that comes up, the options are either to recover photos from the iPhone itself or from a backup file. There's nothing on the iPhone (iTunes showed no memory taken up by photos, plus I "restored" the phone.) And as I said the backup files I have are either from 6 months ago or after the photos were already deleted. Is there something else I'm missing? Thanks...

Dec 23, 2013 8:23 AM in response to Jerm5497

Do you have an iTunes backup of these lost picture? If you have, please follow the steps below:

1. Open iTunes and right click on your phone’s name.

2. Select “Restore from Backup”. If you don’t have an iTunes backup, iTunes will not offer this option.

3. Use the drop-down menu to select a backup then click “Restore”

4. Wait till the backup is restored. It depends how many files you have restored. So please wait patiently.

5. Click “OK”.

6. Wait while the Apple iPhone is synced.

7. When the restoration is done, you can disconnect your iPhone from the computer.

Now you can recover your deleted photos from iPhone.

<Link Edited By Host>

Feb 21, 2014 2:10 AM in response to Jerm5497

Every time you sync your iPhone with iTunes, iTunes will create a backup of your iPhone. If you have enabled iCloud, every time, your iPhone is connected to Wifi and a power source, and the screen is locked, iCloud will automatically backup your photos.

Other than restoring from iTunes or iCloud backup, there are still at least 3 other solutions for you to recover deleted photos from iPhone:

1. Extracting from previous iTunes backup;
  2. Retrieving directly from iPhone;
  3. Copying from other backups.

Feb 26, 2014 11:28 PM in response to Feresher

Feresher wrote:

Every time you sync your iPhone with iTunes, iTunes will create a backup of your iPhone. If you have enabled iCloud, every time, your iPhone is connected to Wifi and a power source, and the screen is locked, iCloud will automatically backup your photos.

Other than restoring from iTunes or iCloud backup, there are still at least 3 other solutions for you to recover deleted photos from iPhone:

If you want to recover from iTunes backup, here are the steps:
Click the "File" menu and select "Devices" > "Restore from Back up".
Or
Open the iOS device's "Summary" tab. There are two ways to access this:
Click the device button in the upper right corner. (If viewing the iTunes Store, click the Library button in the upper right corner. The device button will then be visible.)
From any view in iTunes, click the "View" menu and select "Show Sidebar". Select your iOS device in iTunes under "Devices:.
Click the "Restore Backup" button.

For more details, see:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766

Apr 8, 2014 9:07 PM in response to Feresher

Feresher wrote:

May 14, 2014 7:15 PM in response to Jerm5497

iPubsoft iPhone Backup Extractor is a professional application that can help you extract iPhone file and get all of photos back if you deleted your cherished photos by mistake. And it works well with iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS. It can recover Messages, Contacts, Call History, Calendar, Notes, Reminders, Safari Bookmark directly from iPhone 5/4S.

There are two ways for you to recover deleted pictures from your iPhone:

Tutorials 1: How to Scan and Recover Photos from iPhone directly

Tutorials 2: How to Recover iPhone Photos from iTunes backup

Read more:

Easy to Recover Photo from iPhone

Retrieving deleted photos from iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.