Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Twitter timeline is blank

I know this has been raised for Safari, and it's no longer an issue there.

However, I've found it's an issue with TenFourFox (which is an open source release of Firefox, to allow PPC users to run FF4 and FF5). What happens is that the Twitter page loads with the top menu - username and list of location & option buttons along the top. However, the timeline below that remains completely blank under all circumstances.

This is baffling. I want to use TenFourFox for one Twitter user, and Safari for another. TenFourFox is easily the best PPC browser after Safari. The Twitter behaviour for various browsers is :

Safari (cutting edge, latest technology) - fine

Camino (old, unsupported browser) - fine

Firefox 3 (old browser) - fine

TenFourFox (more up to date than FF3) - problem

Anyone got any ideas what the problem might be, and what can be done?

(The forums for TenFourFox don't offer any help).

iMac G5 2.5GB RAM-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Aug 28, 2011 8:31 AM

13 replies

Aug 28, 2011 9:30 AM in response to christopher rigby1

I can confirm the same problem here, iMac G5 PPC OS X 10.5.8 with all updates, 1.8GHz & 2GB RAM. It's annoying so I will probably switch between Safari, and Firefox 3.6.x for the sites that are not compatible with Safari (like this one to pay my taxes in CT):

http://www.ct.gov/drs/cwp/view.asp?a=1433&Q=265878&PM=1

Clicking on "Individual" taxpayer services, lower right corner redirects you to:

https://drsindtax.ct.gov/AUT/browsercheck.htm

"A system check has found that your computer's internet browser is not compatible with the Connecticut Taxpayer Service Center system. In order to use this system, you will need to update your current internet browser. This system supports Internet Explorer 5.0 and higher, as well as Firefox 1.5 and higher.

Macintosh Users: Please note - Internet Explorer no longer provides a version for use on Macintosh computers. Please download the free version of Mozilla Firefox by going to the Firefox link below.

To upgrade your Internet Explorer browser, go to Microsoft.com.

To upgrade your Firefox browser, go to Mozilla.com."

STUPID!

Aug 28, 2011 1:01 PM in response to christopher rigby1

I can only suggest trying to narrow the problem down. See if you can find a Mac that runs firefox 4 & 5.

The User Agent Switcher extension adds a menu and a toolbar button to switch the user agent of a browser.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/user-agent-switcher/?application= firefox&id=59

More details than you ever need or want.

http://linux.ioerror.us/2006/01/02/firefox-users-cant-access-internet-explorer-o nly-web-sites/

Aug 28, 2011 1:48 PM in response to rccharles

rccharles wrote:

I can only suggest trying to narrow the problem down. See if you can find a Mac that runs firefox 4 & 5.

But that's exactly what I did! Like you, I was encouraged by TenFourFox which effectively enables me to run Firefox 4 or 5. I only needed Firefox for Twitter anyway, so when I was upgraded to New Twitter and it no longer worked, I was really p*ssed off.

So my puzzlement is deep : how come New Twitter works fine in the NEW Safari 5, and in the OLD Firefox 3, but not in the in-between TenFourFox?

Aug 28, 2011 4:31 PM in response to christopher rigby1

I've been told Firefox 4 beta works in iMac PPC, but I'm not a fan of using beta software on production machines.

What I really don't understand is why Mozilla continues to release FF for Windows 2000 which hasn't been supported by MS in over a year, yet they refuse to provide an updated for Leopard, which as of August 3 received a security update.

You've got to love the irony. It must be that they don't want to build for PPC architecture, but TenFourFox apparently proves it can't be that much work to port. Porting to a supported system like Leopard in my book would take precedence over and be better than letting Win2K users think they are safe using an unpatched system since they are using a recent browser.

Aug 29, 2011 10:09 AM in response to christopher rigby1

rccharles wrote:

But that's exactly what I did! Like you, I was encouraged by TenFourFox which effectively enables me to run Firefox 4 or 5.

???

TenFourFox is a port of FireFox. It isn't FireFox. Hence, we have the name change. Things need to be exact in the computer world.

I mean run the real FireFox 4 & FireFox 5 on a Mac that supports this software. That way we can direct the bug report to the appropriate software project.

Could you list the steps you take to get this bug. Web site & what you enter at the site. Do you need a login & password? If you can avoid the login & password. Please write for a total dummy. I've never used Twitter.

Robert

Aug 29, 2011 11:31 AM in response to rccharles

rccharles wrote:

rccharles wrote:

But that's exactly what I did! Like you, I was encouraged by TenFourFox which effectively enables me to run Firefox 4 or 5.

???

TenFourFox is a port of FireFox. It isn't FireFox. Hence, we have the name change. Things need to be exact in the computer world.

I mean run the real FireFox 4 & FireFox 5 on a Mac that supports this software. That way we can direct the bug report to the appropriate software project.

Could you list the steps you take to get this bug. Web site & what you enter at the site. Do you need a login & password? If you can avoid the login & password. Please write for a total dummy. I've never used Twitter.

Robert

1. That's kind of a grey area. The developers of TenFF have amended it in such a way that it behaves exactly AS IF it was Firefox - for example, if you launch Firefox 3 instead, open a new tab in addition to the ones you already have, and add a couple of new bookmarks, then Quit ... then launch TenFF, the new tab and bookmarks will be there. You can't even have Firefox and TenFF open at the same time, it's that seamless.

2. That would require an Intel Mac - my whole reason for running TenFF is because it was written for PPC owners (like me) who cannot run Firefox 4 or 5.

3. It's the same phenomenon as was observed some weeks ago by Safari users. The login / password screen is absolutely 100% normal. When the Twitter.com site loads, it loads with my username in the black bar at the top of the page, plus buttons for "Profile" "Home" "Messages", etc (very similar to Facebook in that regard). That bar actually appears.

Below that - normally - my time line appears, which is a vertical list of tweets on the left 2/3, which are the latest tweets from all the people I Follow. On the right 1/3 should be a profile column, plus extra buttons. NONE of this appears in TenFF, just a blank slightly off-white page.

Clicking any of the top bar buttons (Profile" "Home" "Messages" etc) causes the page to refresh to the new URL for that function - but the page stays blank. It's as if everything is working, but invisibly.

Clearing Cookies / Cache doesn't make any difference. Nor does logging out and logging back in.

Aug 29, 2011 12:39 PM in response to christopher rigby1

1. That's kind of a grey area. The developers of TenFF have amended it in such a way that it behaves exactly AS IF it was Firefox - for example, if you launch Firefox 3 instead, open a new tab in addition to the ones you already have, and add a couple of new bookmarks, then Quit ... then launch TenFF, the new tab and bookmarks will be there. You can't even have Firefox and TenFF open at the same time, it's that seamless.

The question is would FireFox accept a bug report written by someone running TenFourFox?

The answer is no.

I'll see if I can get a friend to run with Firefox.

Robert

Aug 29, 2011 12:55 PM in response to rccharles

rccharles wrote:

The question is would FireFox accept a bug report written by someone running TenFourFox?

The answer is no.

I'll see if I can get a friend to run with Firefox.

Robert

Cool. Thanks. 🙂

Aug 30, 2011 1:01 PM in response to BDAqua

BDAqua wrote:

I don't have a Twitter account either, but you might try iCab...

http://www.icab.de/dl.php

No, really, thanks but ...

Twitter works fine in Safari, Firefox 3, and Camino. My frustration was with TenFourFox which is a great browser, but as my 'second choice' browser was mainly for Twitter, I can't use it. I'll veer between FF3 and Camino, according to mood. I STILL don't understand why it doesn't work in TenFourFox though.

Twitter timeline is blank

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.