Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

One Mac, Two Users, One shared Aperture Library

Hello

I recently bought a new DSLR camera. As the camera is much more advanced comapred to my former one I also wanted to improve my editing capabilties by switching from iPhoto to Aperture.

I (USER 1) started Aperture, created a new library in the same directory my iPhoto library is stored in, chose "Import -> iPhoto library -> keep files in the original location"...a couple of hours later the library was indexed and usable.

Now I wanted to take the next step. To optimize disk storage and to avoid duplicates the iPhoto library was used by two users, the imports, edits... one user made were available to the other user (on the same Mac) and vice versa. The idea was to do the same under Aperture. So USER 1 assigned "read & write" rights on my library file to USER 2 as well (as I said, file is stored in the same location as the iPhoto library where 2 users, 1 library already worked). I signed in as USER 2, started Aperture and first had to create a new library file. Then I changed the library file to USER 1's (shared) library. This worked in prnciple, however "Projects", "Faces"... were not displayed. Aperture showed as many blank fields as USER 1's library contains pictures. Some pictures were displayed after a couple of minutes but the system didn't appear as if it would also try to make the remaining pictures available. So I checked access rights on the library file again (USER 2 had all rights required), closed Aperture on USER 2, reopened Aperture under USER 2 and got the message, that access rights are not sufficient to access the library file of USER 1.

What am I doing wrong? Could it be that what is possible under iPhoto (2 users, 1 Mac, 1 shared library file) is not possible under Aperture?

Thanks for your help in advance.

iMac 2GHz, Intel, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Aug 28, 2011 9:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2011 2:00 PM

Aperture is very picky about file permissions. It got even more picky going from Aperture 2 to Aperture 3. The only reliable way to share a library is to have it on an external drive (or 2nd internal on a Mac Pro) with "Ignore Ownership" enabled for this drive. I've been using Aperture since version 2 this way for 2 users.

It must be on a non-boot drive because you cannot enable Ignore Ownership on a boot drive.

The only thing to watch for is there are some (unknown to me) reasons that the "Ignore Ownership" setting suddenly gets disabled and you'll have trouble with the library. Once you re-enable it you're back in business.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2011 2:00 PM in response to SameSame

Aperture is very picky about file permissions. It got even more picky going from Aperture 2 to Aperture 3. The only reliable way to share a library is to have it on an external drive (or 2nd internal on a Mac Pro) with "Ignore Ownership" enabled for this drive. I've been using Aperture since version 2 this way for 2 users.

It must be on a non-boot drive because you cannot enable Ignore Ownership on a boot drive.

The only thing to watch for is there are some (unknown to me) reasons that the "Ignore Ownership" setting suddenly gets disabled and you'll have trouble with the library. Once you re-enable it you're back in business.

Aug 31, 2011 9:01 PM in response to Ir. Bob

I tried using ACL's back with MacOS X 10.5. It worked fine with iPhoto but I recall having trouble as things got upgraded. After I switched to a 2nd drive with Ignore Ownership enabled I've never had a problem.

Using an external drive is how many professionals store their master images. Using the Ignore Ownership option is no hack. It's right there in the Get Info window waiting for you to set.

Dec 6, 2011 9:27 AM in response to SameSame

As I'm using an iMac and no MacPro I Fear this would significantly Slow down the system, Even if I would connect the external HDD via Firewire.

It does not need to be an external drive. You can partition your system drive and put the Aperture Library on a second partition, with 'ignore ownership' set for that partition. So you will have the speed of an internal drive, and the file permissions management of an external drive at the same time. With OS Lion it is possible to repartition the system drive without the need to reinstall the system, but I am afraid with an older MacOS this would be a major operation.

Dec 6, 2011 11:19 AM in response to léonie

Thanks to all of you for your responses. In the meantime I added a second partition which is solely used for Apperture. Worked fine until I tried to sync the iPad which contained a backup of the photos taken during my recent vacation, which were already imported from the DSLR...as a result, majority of my photos (all JPEGs) could not be opened anymore in Apperture (unsupported file format). So I updated to Lion and restored all data from my Time Capsule....no change. So I took screenshots and went to the local iStore last weekend. They recommended to reinstall the complete system, not restoring it from Time Capsule and to export all my iPhoto/Apperture projects and later reimport it. I'm now at the stage where the system is reconfigured more or less completely, except for Apperture. Unfortunately I need a windows (👿) partition for once a year usage, but bootcamp can only install Win... if there is no second partition. So I'm waiting for win... to arrive so that I can continue with the next step, the Apperture partition and then reimporting all projects. Will keep you posted on how things develop...

Dec 18, 2011 1:51 PM in response to SameSame

Update:

I installed Windows via Bootcamp, added a second partition to the system. It worked, Windows took ages to download all the required updates but anyway, it worked. So I started up again with OS X Lion, now splitting my OS X partition into two (than had 2 OS X and 1 Windows partition) and adding all my iTunes content to the second. Then I created a new Apperture libary on that second partition, imported all the projects into it and, hey, it worked as well, no files showed "unsupported file format" anymore. So I thought I was through it all...but only until I tried to start from the Windows partition again, it didn't work. Under OS X I could see the Windows partition and all it's content, however the Bootmanager didn't provide the option to startup with Windows. So I had to clean the second OS X partition again, deleting the Bootcamp partition and then doing all the painfull Windows installation again. Now I'm at the point where I have 1 Mac OS X Lion partiton and a Bootcamp partition containing Windows 7...

Now my question: Could it be, that Bootcamp 4 under OS X lion can not run Windows on another partition than the second one? In other words: If I now split my OS X partition into two to have all the iTunes and Apperture content on this second partition, will the third partition (Bootcamp) again not work anylonger? The Bootcamp help is not very precise in this point, it only talks about the installation process of Windows 7 that is only running when there is only one OS X partition, it does not at all say that - after installing Windows on the Bootcamp partition - the OS X partition must not be changed to prevent Windows from "dying". Does anyone out there have any experience on this, what will happen if I now split my OS X partiton into two with the second partition only containing iTunes and Apperture content and "ignore ownership" enabled? WIll Windows die again or did I do something wrong with my first try?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Dec 26, 2011 3:51 AM in response to Ir. Bob

Hello

Thanks for the link, I finally made it, the system looks as I wanted it, three partitions, one with ignore ownership for my Apperture and iTunes libraries, one for Bootcamp running Windows 7.

There is one thing I would add to the article "Install Bootcamp with multiple partitions"; step 15.1 should be added, "Verify Image for restore". Disk Utility requires the restoration image to be verified before it can be used for restore. Therefore go to menu "Images", choose last item in list "Verify image for restore", go get a coffee or two, then continue with step 16.

Another question came to my had: Would it be possible to run Vista or XP under OS X Lion when following this installation procedure? The description implies that Windows 7 is no longer a prerequsit when skipping the Bootcamp assistant.

Regards.

One Mac, Two Users, One shared Aperture Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.