You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to format MS-DOS (FAT) to Mac OS??

I need to format an MS-DOS (FAT) partition to Mac OS....

How do i do this in Disk Utility? It won't read the MS-DOS.. and renames it disk1s2..

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Aug 28, 2011 12:26 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2011 12:37 PM

Select the disk in Disk Utility, click the Partition tab, select 1 Partition from the Volume Scheme pop-up menu, click the Options button, choose GUID Partition Table and click OK. Choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) from the Format pop-up menu and click the Apply button. In the sheet that appears click the Partition button and your flash drive will be formatted as a Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) drive.

13 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 28, 2011 12:37 PM in response to Mlindberg

Select the disk in Disk Utility, click the Partition tab, select 1 Partition from the Volume Scheme pop-up menu, click the Options button, choose GUID Partition Table and click OK. Choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) from the Format pop-up menu and click the Apply button. In the sheet that appears click the Partition button and your flash drive will be formatted as a Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) drive.

Aug 28, 2011 1:16 PM in response to Mlindberg

I read your question and saw what I expected, not what you actually asked. Sorry. Are you saying you have a drive that is formatted Mac OS extended and you want to reformat it for MS-DOS (FAT 32)? If so you can just select the volume, select the format you want, and apply. (A mounted drive has at least 2 icons in Disk Utility, the top one is the drive and the second is the volume. The drive is what you apply a partition to, the volume is what you format. A drive might have 2 volumes, one formatted FAT32 and one MacJournaled).

As far as I know there are no utilities that can format a volume without deleting files already on that volume.

Aug 28, 2011 1:56 PM in response to dwb

Well actually i was trying to reformat it from MS-DOS to Mac OS. My Boot Camp partition somehow formated my external hard drive and while i can access my files in Windows, ofc i am not able to use it in OS X. So what i did was, luckily i had enough space for a new Mac OS partition that i can transfer my files too. Can you possibly help me with Windows? There is this common annoying thing, it won't give me permission to change my new Mac OS partition nor the MS-DOS partition :/. I've experinced this before, but if i can just find out how to get permission i can copy the files and delete the MS-DOS 🙂. Please don't respond telling me about restore function in DU, no offence of course 😀.

Aug 28, 2011 2:58 PM in response to Mlindberg

My head is spinning 😮 Am I correct in assuming you mean you have one internal drive that now has 3 partitions - Sorta like this and that you are in Windows trying to copy files from Windows to the 3rd partition? If so, the reason it isn't working is because Windows cannot write to Mac formatted volumes without 3rd party software.Well, that was true prior to Lion, I've not begun playing with BootCamp under Lion. If that isn't the problem, try explaining again.

User uploaded file

Aug 29, 2011 4:50 AM in response to dwb

I am trying to copy from a NTFS formated partition to an HFS partition, in Windows 7, which it wouldn't do. So i deleted the HFS partition (which was the empty partition) and created an exFAT or whatever it's called. I'm currently copying the last files and when i am done i will delete the old NTFS partition and create a Mac OS. I figured, since exFAT can connect to OSX, it would let me copy from the exFAT to the Mac OS. I'll do this and let you know if it works. You know how it appears in Windows, even with Boot Camp drivers it has some weird files, while only tho with a "high" letter are real folders. But thanks a lot, i'll come back when i'm done and if works i'll give you correct answer for helping me so much 🙂.

Aug 29, 2011 5:54 AM in response to Mlindberg

Ok - so while I was wrong about you having 3 partitions I was right that you were trying to copy from Windows to a Mac formatted volume. That isn't possible without third party software (MacDrive should you need it in the future) at least pre-Lion. As I said, I don't have BootCamp running in Lion in fact, since early days Snow Leopard - virtualization meets my needs.

How to format MS-DOS (FAT) to Mac OS??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.