If your Mac is the same as, or newer than, the models listed below, then it supports AirDrop.
- MacBook Pro (Late 2008 or newer)*
- MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer)
- MacBook (Late 2008 or newer)*
- iMac (Early 2009 or newer)
- Mac Mini (Mid 2010 or newer)
- Mac Pro (Early 2009 with AirPort Extreme card, or Mid 2010)
* The MacBook Pro (17-Inch Late 2008) and the white MacBook (Late 2008) do not support AirDrop.
Airdrop will work on older Mac models (not just the official list provided by Apple).
You can enable it in older models:
(1) Use Oynx to turn it on (Oynx is a Mac utility to turn on hidden features on the Mac):
* download the latest version of Oynx: http://www.titanium.free.fr/download.php
* make sure you use the correct version of Oynx that corresponds to your MacOSX version
* In Oynx, click "Parameters" icon,
* then click "Misc" button on the tab
* then check the "Force enabling AirDrop" checkmark to turn it on.
(2) If you are geeky enough, go to Terminal and type this line:
defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser BrowserAllInterfaces 1
Then re-log/relaunch Finder.