Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

birthdays not appearing in iCal after up upgrade to Lion

Just done a completely fresh install of Lion (10.7.1) on a new iMac.

Successfully brought my previous Snow Leopard home folder over using Migration Assistant.

But I wanted a fresh start with iCal so deleted all the relevant iCal files in ~/Library/Calendars.

Now - as I would expect - iCal birthdays not showing up.

Is it simply a case of finding which was the old birthdays calendar file from my old system and dropping in in?

If so, any idea how to identify which file it is?

Thanks!

Posted on Aug 29, 2011 7:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2011 10:20 AM

Mark,

Address Book has a "Birthday" field. If that field is present and populated, when you select iCal>Preferences...>General>"Show Birthdays calendar" you should get a Birthdays calendar displayed in iCal.

User uploaded file

17 replies

Aug 29, 2011 11:13 AM in response to Ferd II

Ferd,

I've not had AB do anything odd, No.

My iMac came with 10.7 on the SSD Volume.

I did a fresh installation of 10.7.1 (from App store, so no cloning etc) on the 1TB Macintosh HD Volume.

I then Migration Assistanted my ~ (including all my calendar folders, of course) onto 1TB.

Then replaced the contents of ~/Library/calendars there with the clean SSD ~/Library/calendars so that I could start afresh with just Home and Work iCal calendars.

Presumably I shouldn't need to bring over previous birthday calendars if they're in now, here AB, should I?

IOW this is really a fresh install of iCal - except that Migration Assistant will have brought previous ~ calendar folders over.

Aug 29, 2011 6:10 PM in response to Mark Sealey

Ferd,

Well I've done a bit of investigating. The long and the short of it is that some calendars were subscribed to; others were not. And birthdays was not.

I guess what I really want to do (it's a new machine and I made a separate list of only those calendar dates I want to enter (it's not many) fresh) is start from scratch, keeping only my Birthdays because they're in Address Book.

If you know the best, saftest way to completely delete all my calendars - from MobileMe, onMyMac, my iPhone and everything, that's what I'll do - stop them synching altogether - then rebuild from scratch.

And assume that Birthdays will pick up from Address Book.

Thanks!

Aug 29, 2011 6:49 PM in response to Mark Sealey

Mark,

Before proceeding, backup all of your calendars: MobileMe: How to back up calendar data using MobileMe Calendar.

Deleting calendars should be easy...😉, but since they are not my calendars I do not wish to be too cavalier about the process.

I would start by deleting calendars using the MobileMe iCal Web Application. Since you can delete all but one calendar, just create a temporary calendar and name it something like Test. Then delete all of the others. After deletion, make sure all of your other devices have time to pick up the deletions, and add the Test calendar.

The "On My Mac" calendars do not sync with MobileMe, so they must be deleted separately. Don't forget to use iCal>File>Export...>Export on each "On My Mac" calendars before deleting them.

As you stated, Birthdays should be available from Address Book.

User uploaded file

Aug 29, 2011 8:15 PM in response to Ferd II

Ferd,

Thanks! That's really helpful.

I'm actually really quite happy to delete everything, I really am. I've started to use Things for tasks and saved in TextEdit all the dates I need to re-enter. So your cavalier help is very welcome.

Are you saying to treat my MobileMe as the center, the 'base', the control - so to speak - from and in which to manage all my other calendars?

I'm not synching to or from MobileMe except on my iPhone.

As long as I have one working calendar - common to my iMac, iPhone and MacBook - I'm happy.

Do those MM instructions apply to Lion?

How do I delete On My mac calendars?

Why are they there?

Last question (and I'm so grateful!), what's the purpose/distinction of and between 'regular' and 'On My mac' calendar? Do I really need them?

Thanks again!

Aug 30, 2011 8:44 AM in response to Mark Sealey

Mark,

Are you saying to treat my MobileMe as the center, the 'base', the control - so to speak - from and in which to manage all my other calendars?

In reality, MobileMe is the repository for all of your calendar data that you want to sync with other devices. If you wish to sync any data it must reside in the MobileMe cloud. When iClould is released, I presume it will serve the same purpose.

Calendars listed under the "On My Mac" heading are for local use only. They will not sync but can be published with caveats.

As long as I have one working calendar - common to my iMac, iPhone and MacBook - I'm happy.

Then you should be using MobileMe for that calendar.

Do those MM instructions apply to Lion?

Yes.

How do I delete On My mac calendars?

Select the calendar and then choose iCal>Edit>Delete.

Why are they there?

Good question. IMHO they are useless except for users who want to use the publish feature.

Last question (and I'm so grateful!), what's the purpose/distinction of and between 'regular' and 'On My mac' calendar? Do I really need them?

I have eliminated mine without adverse consequence.

User uploaded file

Aug 30, 2011 8:48 AM in response to Ferd II

Ferd, Good morning - and thanks again. That's all very clear!

I think what I'll do is make sure syncing is off on all three devices (iMac, iPhone, MacBook).

Or should I actually disable the MM account there, rather than suspend synching?

Set up the calendars on MobileMe just as I want them.

Then re-enable.

There isn't a 'Calendar'/'Events' option in Lion > System Prefs > MobileMe, is there?

Aug 30, 2011 9:03 AM in response to Mark Sealey

Mark,

I am away from home and not using my Lion system at the present time. If you disable syncing on all devices, and set up your calendars using the MobileMe Web application, you should get an option to merge or replace data on the devices when you re-enable sync. In your case, replacing would be the correct choice.

MobileMe: Using MobileMe and System Preferences in OS X Lion should answer your remaining questions.

User uploaded file

birthdays not appearing in iCal after up upgrade to Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.