I had this issue and more. There are a couple of good posts. I'm on an iMac with OS 10.6.8 When I first loaded GB 11, it just crashed with stack errors.
idiot.radar gave this solution which fixed the crashing, but didn't fix the long delay on initializing (with the added benefit of a crash when I tried to open a file and gave a Midi timing error).
Here's what it looks like when you're loading Garage Band 11
1. Initialize (takes about 3 seconds)
2. Scanning for Jam Packs (about 3-6 seconds)
3. Initializing - hangs for minutes. Finally comes up, but then crashes with the above Midi error when you try to open an old file.
Here's Idiot.radar's solution that fixed MOST of the problems, except for
Re: Garage Band '11 crashes on initializing.
Mar 8, 2011 2:02 AM (in response to idiot.radar)
2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6)
OK, Seem to have fixed it. Here's what I did:
1. Uninstalled all other music apps (logic express, traktor)
2. Installed the demo For Melodyne Editor (found here:
3. Launched Garage Band, then closed it.
4. Launched the included Melodyne Uninstaller.
Garage Band now launches by it's pretty self...
There is another post that mentions removing the Melodyne re-wire files. That helped somewhat. The last piece was removing Amplitube (I had an Amplitube 1.x from a Protools 7.1.1 installation). Once I did this, Garage Band 11 loaded right away and I was able to open old files without errors!
I'll be loading a new version of Protools (8.0) soon. Hopefully, my amplitube can be reloaded without issues to either programs.