Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ibook stopped booting up. Using external HD. Can I retrieve files from IBook

My IBook has stopped booting up. We have an external HD from our old desktop. We can boot up to that, but I want to get all my files off the IBook. Can anyone help me access these files?

Posted on Aug 29, 2011 11:38 AM

5 replies

Aug 30, 2011 12:15 AM in response to tracic65

Is the old desktop a Mac with FireWire, and does it still work? Is the iBook one which is equipped with a FireWire port? If both are true, you may be able to access the iBook's hard drive from the desktop Mac via FireWire Target Disk Mode. If this works, the iBook's hard drive should mount on the desktop of the other Mac, and you can copy the files off to the the desktop Mac's hard drive.

Good luck.

Aug 30, 2011 7:53 AM in response to Ronda Wilson

Thanks Ronda!

The old desktop is kaput, and connected through an external harddrive. We've been using a pc laptop as our computer temporarily while waiting to get a new Mac. Finally, our new IMac will be here next week, so I can definitely try that then. However, do you know if I can use the PC as my host computer? I would love to get all the transferring done before the new computer gets here.

ibook stopped booting up. Using external HD. Can I retrieve files from IBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.