Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How long will it be before the bugs in Lion are fixed and i should upgrade to lion from SL?

How long will it be before the bugs in Lion are fixed and i should upgrade to lion from SL ?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 29, 2011 12:23 PM

83 replies

Aug 29, 2011 12:40 PM in response to benwaffle

Greetings,

What "bugs" are you talking about? I haven't seen anything buggy - I guess you could call some of the "features" bugs. I've not had any issues of note yet. My only gripe is the desktop icons not staying put the way I want them to be. That's the only thing I have seen that acts like a bug, but it may be a feature, as well.

I have to agree with some of you, I liked Snow Leopard much better. Launch Pad, and Mission Control, are a waste of time, and dock real estate. It has some weird features, but we'll all get used to them, in time.

Cheers,

M.

Aug 29, 2011 3:01 PM in response to vazandrew

What nobody knows (probably not even Apple) is the proportion of people upgrading to Lion who have significant problems.

How Many Lions have been sold? I remembered seeing a figure from Apple shortly after Lion was offered, of about a million (?) sold within days. (Can anyone confirm that?)

How many individuals on this forum, and CNet (+others?) have significant problems? Add some more for people who have not posted and have therefore sought help elsewhere. Let's say 5,000. That's 0.5%. Quite small, especially as it neglects Lions sold since launch.

Nov 25, 2011 1:25 AM in response to benwaffle

I made the mistake of upgrading a few months ago, only because Apple represented Lion as a fit and ready application. Nothing has been further from the truth. Lion is absolutely a disaster and Apple's only response is to sic its legion of fan boys on anyone who honestly complains about the OS. I can not tell you how many hours of frustration and now, downright anger, this piece of Cr*p has cost me and others who work for me. As a company we are migrating out of Apple products altogether due primarily to our experience with Apple in our attempts to sort the myriad of faults, crashes, non-functional apps, slooooow performance, destroyed lap top batteries, over heating, and much more. We no longer will defray the cost of any of our empolyees who purchase any Apple product, as we have been doing, when reasonable and applicable to the empolyee's responsibiities, over the past 7 years. Do what you like and listen to whomever you like but in my opinion and that our our IT staff, Lion is a fraud.

Nov 25, 2011 1:52 AM in response to benwaffle

benwaffle wrote:

How long will it be before the bugs in Lion are fixed and i should upgrade to lion from SL ?

There are no bugs in Lion, so it is safe to update. Just take the usual sensible precautions such as backing up your current system and checking on the health of your hardware. You will find nothing positive in Troubleshooting Forums.

From Forum Archives after Snow Leopard release

Sorry Gang - but you don't remove tried and true features (needed tools) or scale down needed tools when you offer an upgrade. I am so disappointed. All of my Mac friends are waiting for my stamp of approval because they too are set in their ways, used to using certain apps, and don't expect Snow Leopard (from all the hype) to slow their systems down or cause them undue hardships - and that's just what Snow Leopard has done for me. So I'm giving it a thumbs down for now.

And after Leopard before that

I have a new 24" 3.06 GHz iMac that I've been trying to update to 10.5.3. What a disaster! First no dock, then Safari won't launch, then Installer won't run. And that's only what I've found so far. The iMac was pretty much stock 10.5.2 with Adobe CS3 and MS Office 2004.

I've been using Macs since System 7 and this is the worst update problem I've ever seen. After a couple hours of trying things, I reverted back to 10.5.2 using SuperDuper and all is back to normal.

And Tiger before that

I have upgraded a dual G5 to Tiger (10.4, 10.4.3 etc..)...no problems. Tried to do the same on an eMac (2nd Gen w/ATI) - DISASTER! eMac freezes afer several minutes of use (AND I MEAN A TOTAL FREEZE - HAVE TO PHYSICALLY SHUT IT DOWN). I tried, system restores, re-installing, software updates, ran hardware tests...you name it...spent over 72 hours to no avail. It just doesn't work. When I did my 5th sysem restore, I then chose to only update to 10.3 (Panther) - no problems. I am certain I am not the only one with this problem. Has anyone heard about incompatibilities with eMAcs and 10.4 becasue they do exist. I do no beleive it is my system as I have ran several well known apps testing for harware/software problems using 3rd party software as well as Apple's own harware tester. Everything checks out perfectly.

You get the picture? If you let a Trouble Shooting forum influence your decision to upgrade, you will revert back to an the original windows. It is up to you to read not just views here, but also in the PC Magazine reviews and decide for yourself. Personally, not as much as a hickup, others report issues. As touched on before, 4 million downloads in the first four days and all new Macs being shipped with Lion. If it was as buggy as some claim, there would have been a massive recall by now.

So read up and make your own decision.

Good Luck

Nov 25, 2011 2:15 AM in response to jamesfromvenice

jamesfromvenice wrote:

To the poster who claimed that only a tiny percentage of users have complained about LIon my question is, What planet are you presently inhabiting?

Planet Reality that's what. Millions of users of Lion and only a few thousand complaints here and elsewhere. Same thing happened with Snow Leopard and Leopard and any other major OS launch I can think of in the past.

Nov 25, 2011 3:35 AM in response to benwaffle

I upgraded from SL to Lion 7.0 the day it was launched but downgraded again after two weeks of issues (wifi, not recovering from sleep mode). I tried again a couple of days ago with Lion 7.2 and did not have a single issue since then. I run Lion now on both my mid 2011 iMac and 2011 MBA.

I must however also confess that I did some tweaking of my wireless router (e.g. from auto to fix channel selection) so that may also have helped to solve my wifi woes.

Anyway, Lion looks to me in much better shape now, only thing I still miss is the ability to search on networks/ NAS. Hope Apple fixes that very basic functionality soon too.

Nov 25, 2011 3:48 AM in response to igmackenzie

A few thousand and that is considered good??? Most people do not complain and only a small fraction even frequent forums such as this. Consequently, for every one complaint that is reported you can expect at least 100 or possibly far mor who just live with it or seek help from a friend or relative. A few hundred thousand people with issues is not what I call a respectable or acceptable result, not on this planet at least.

You can kiss Apple's Ars until the cows come home but it will not change the fact that Lion is a disaster.

How long will it be before the bugs in Lion are fixed and i should upgrade to lion from SL?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.