Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 8.1 Nvidia video card -- new computer or pay to fix?

Hi everyone,

I am hoping to get some advice from others about fixing my broken iMac vs going to a new computer.

I have the early-2008 version iMAC 8.1 (ID your iMAc -- http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1758) running dual core with 4 GB RAM and the built-in NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS (according to Wikipedia rebranded: NVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTS). Running latest version of LION today after upgrades from Leopard to SL to L.

Since owning this, I have had a constant problem with BEACHBALLING only when running iTunes. In addition to this, last week I experienced my first full lockup in the OS, while simply working in Firefox/iPhoto which 0 visual feedback/response. I did a hard reboot and was unable to recover so the computer is in the shop now

See this thread:

"https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3286385?answerId=16046643022#16046643022"

Turns out that replacing neither RAM nor HDD fixed issue, but changing the video card did cause it to act normally and startup

I am hesitating at spending ~$550 on the new SAME video card to get back to the same point in the near future.

I have also read and heard alot of issues with iMac's for overheating, the NVIDIA video cards running hot etc.

Similar issues reported here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2384136?tstart=0

Possible fix with manually forcing the fan to do more:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23049/smcfancontrol

Similar reported issues from ~2007 when released:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/New-iMac-Video-Problems-67558.shtml

I am considering replacing with the lowest end NEW iMac or a mac-mini, as I really don't need processing/gaming horsepower. Am I setting myself up for the same heart-aches?!?!?

Please advise with your thoughts/comments

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.1), (Intel)

Posted on Aug 29, 2011 1:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2011 2:46 PM

I can't offer any confirmation that your video card is indeed the problem, nor can I advise you on the beachball iTunes issue (that doesn't sound like a hardware problem) but I have the same iMac and recently replaced the same video card. I too didn't want to replace it with the same card knowing there was no guarantee the same thing wouldn't happen again. Since gaming is not my primary use, I decided the most cost effective fix was replacing the card with the (technically inferior) ATI card. This card cost about $100 less ($260 total, new) and since I'm a DIY kinda guy, I replaced it myself. I now use SMC fan control to run the fans a little faster in an effort to keep it cooler. If you replace it, you have only two options: The ATI or the NVIDIA. You cannot replace it with any other card even if it fits.

Additioinally, I was able to continue using the comptuer with the bad NVIDIA card for about 3 months by gradually increasing the speed of the CPU fan using SMC fan control. Eventually it completely died and could not boot at all.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2011 2:46 PM in response to r_dizzle

I can't offer any confirmation that your video card is indeed the problem, nor can I advise you on the beachball iTunes issue (that doesn't sound like a hardware problem) but I have the same iMac and recently replaced the same video card. I too didn't want to replace it with the same card knowing there was no guarantee the same thing wouldn't happen again. Since gaming is not my primary use, I decided the most cost effective fix was replacing the card with the (technically inferior) ATI card. This card cost about $100 less ($260 total, new) and since I'm a DIY kinda guy, I replaced it myself. I now use SMC fan control to run the fans a little faster in an effort to keep it cooler. If you replace it, you have only two options: The ATI or the NVIDIA. You cannot replace it with any other card even if it fits.

Additioinally, I was able to continue using the comptuer with the bad NVIDIA card for about 3 months by gradually increasing the speed of the CPU fan using SMC fan control. Eventually it completely died and could not boot at all.

Aug 29, 2011 3:20 PM in response to r_dizzle

Hi there,

I have the very same machine (iMac 24", Early 2008 with the Nvidia 8800GS) and unfortunately the same symptoms of video glitches and freezing. As you I have found dozends of similar posts on the net. The horrible result is that the Nvidia 8800GS seems to have a limited lifetime of 2-3 years only. After that time the fixture of the processor on the graphic card loses the proper electric connection the board. It appears after 30 seconds to several minutes after booting up. If you take it to an Apple service provider they will likely propose to replace the Nvidia with a refurbished (~450 EUR incl. hours) or new one (~580 EUR). Depending on the age of the refurbished card it will run between minutes to some months and then also fails ! A new one might give you another 2-3 years of lifetime (unless another components fails). Some people instead installed a ATI Radeon 2600 PRO (~350 EUR) which seems to be stable but has 50% less performance for gaming. I called Apple Care to ask if they could provide a new Nvidia card for free, but they turned it down stating that the iMac is out of warranty and that no series fault is known for this card (yes, yes,...). It is a shame that after 3 years only one is left behind with a non-functional system. I will shortly have a new Nvidia card installed and hope it will give me 3 more happy years with my iMac. I not this was my first and last iMac.

Maverick1848

Aug 29, 2011 3:33 PM in response to Maverick1848

Thank you both. This is EXACTLY the type of discussion I'm hoping to get. There are clearly many reported issues with iMacs, NVIDIA video cards and Lion, and I want to get a better feel for my Mac HW platform choice.

Right now, my iMac is with a local mac repair shop and it's looking like $420 CAD for the same NVIDIA video card (with 3 month warranty *scoff*) + $50 diag fee + $100 labour fee.

So, doubledown on the iMac and the fact that it WILL fail again, or spring for the new iMac ($1199 as-is for basic config) or MacMini ($799 version + 3rd party monitor)

hmm

Aug 29, 2011 4:01 PM in response to r_dizzle

For that price, repair is not an attractive option. It's worth looking at the 27" factory refurbished models as well. Right now I have a 27" i3 sitting next to my 24" C2D and it is STUNNING! The screen is a huge improvement. Even though you'd think it's only 3 inches, it is much, much wider, and is LED backlit; much brighter, and can also dim very comfortably in a dark room. My plan was to sell the 27" but it's tempting to keep since it has AppleCare for two more years.

Hopefully you can get $350-$400 on eBay for the dead iMac.

May 15, 2012 8:18 AM in response to Aniapl

In short, I chose not to repair. I went to Apple store and they recommended that a new logic board would fix the issue for good. That being said, I had done this once already under warranty and it didn't fix it so I was skeptical and so I took it to another local Apple repair shop in Calgary and got their advice.

They told me that we could replace the video card (~$400) and that "may" fix the issue but we also would require the new logic board (aka motherboard), for $800.

With all that in mind, in the end I just decided to not spend any money repairing and I bought the cheapest macmini and a refurb 24" monitor from newegg.ca/tigerdirect.ca (can't remember). Worked out to <$800 total, and serves my needs. Not as powerful as what I had, but I also bought new 8GB ram from OTHER WORLD COMPUTING (which I highly recommend), and installed myself and it works great for us.

Sorry this doesn't help, but I spent years dealing with the issue and nothing I could do about it.

I didn't even bother with Ebay as I was moving too so I just recycled it.

iMac 8.1 Nvidia video card -- new computer or pay to fix?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.