Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not sure who or what to complain to but...

I had a security breach this afternoon for a "portscan" not once but twice. Norton Anti Virus alerted me to run a scan quickly.

Norton Anti Virus took 3 hours to determine that it came from IP address 17.173.254.223.

Ran a check on that to find that it was Apple in Cupertino, CA. Thanks Apple.

Posted on Aug 29, 2011 4:10 PM

7 replies

Aug 30, 2011 8:23 AM in response to AlleyCatSmith

To be honest the best thing you can do is to uninstall the Norton software from your system. There are no (as in none, zip, nada, zero) viruses for OS X so it's using valuable system resources and will eventually cause more problems than it solves. These forums are full of users that have antivirus software installed on their Macs that have nothing but trouble. Yesterday I helped another user that was experiencing Kernel Panics caused by their antivirus software. Once it was removed the system returned to normal. Follow Norton's instructions for uninstalling their app.

The ONLY reason for any antivirus software on a Mac is if you are in the habit of download files from unknown sources and then passing those files on to MS Windows users. While OS X is immune the Windows users are not. If you feel you must have antivirus software then I'd recommend ClamXav which is much less intrusive and kept up-to-date.

Sep 4, 2011 7:07 AM in response to AlleyCatSmith

I have to disagree. I have had Norton AV on six computers over more than ten years. Never had a problem with Norton. This was the first time in five years that it alerted me to a problem. I did what it told me to do.

Well sorry you disagree however as I stated earlier;

"To be honest the best thing you can do is to uninstall the Norton software from your system...... and will eventually cause more problems than it solves "

So it seems this is that time. As there is no need for Norton AV and it does use valuable system resources remove it and your system should begin operating the way Apple intended it to. Of course follow Norton's recommendations for uninstalling their software.

Not sure who or what to complain to but...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.