Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

office 2004 and Lion help!!!

The other day I installed the new lion os, I failed to read that Microsoft office 2004 is not supported on the new operating system. Guess what, yep we have microsoft office 2004, and all our .doc files were created using office 2004. So now we can't access them. What are our options? Can we go back t o snow leopard, if so how, my disk wont load with the new lion in place. Would a newer version 2008 or 2011 of office open my 2004 files or not since the problem is in the os? I don't have an external HD so I'm not sure if I can use time machine to back things up and then wipe the HD? Please help, I need to access my files.

thanks

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Aug 29, 2011 7:01 PM

3 replies

Aug 29, 2011 7:11 PM in response to sarahkargol

Hi Srakargol, you are out of luck on lion 10.7... here's why and it is super over documented...

Well office 2004 from microsoft is a POWERPC PPC native app. Simply and it is well documented by APPLE that POWERPC PPC apps will not work on Lion. Additionally to make it harder , ROSETTA (the PPC emeulator for Intel based MACS) is not vailable on Lion 10.7.

So here are your alternatives as I see it:

1. dump microsoft office and use apple splendid iWORK 09. You can read, open, change, alter,save etc etc, microsoft office xlsx,. docx and pptx and their legacy formats in Pages, Numbers and Keynote. I do this 99% of the time. Yes there are some slight formatting issues but these also occure between ms offixe apps in winduzz. Get his usper cheap from the MAC .APPS store.. its just great and so simple to use.
  2. go buy the latest ms office for mac 2011. Yes it works fine and yes I DO have licence for this too but only use for emergencies when I get something form some windows client that is superduper hard to access or a format like xlsx 'spiderweb' charts or soem junk that uses a VBS script.
  3. go get suns/Oracles OPEN OFFICE.. its FREE & works great too.

FWIW MS office 2004 does NOT hand PPT xmls and metaobjects at all well. Frankly it is dreadfull.. so best upgrade your software.

FWIW , you are wasting your time trying to do anything with ms office 2004 for MAC on a LION system. Especially if your business/org depends on it.

hth

w

HK

office 2004 and Lion help!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.