Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Only part of some clips show up in Viewer. Please Help!

Hello FCE4 Experts:

I'm soooo baffled! I've been using FCE4 for three years and haven't had a problem. All of a sudden, a biggy! When I drag a clip into the Viewer window and play it, only a part of the clip has anything on it (the rest is black and silent). For example, a clip might be 25 seconds, but for the first 10 secs, I get just black, and for the last, say, 4 secs I get black. This has never happened before, ever! Anyone have any ideas?

The ONLY thing I've done different lately is that I recently purchased a second external hard drive and have been switching between them for different projects. Could this cause a weird problem like this, or is it due to something else?

Thanks very much for any advice!

Vic

MacBook Pro, Final Cut Express

Posted on Aug 29, 2011 7:57 PM

1 reply

Aug 29, 2011 10:10 PM in response to Vixter101

UPDATE!

I've checked it out further, and here's what I've discovered:

When I ingested segments of my clips (not directly from my camera, but rather from a DVD back-up disk... which is what I did in this case), it seems that the segments do get ingested in a useable form, but along with each segment comes long periods of black/silent video. Weird!

So, my guess it that, when I'm ingesting only short segments of my clips, I'll need to do it directly from my camera.

FYI: I can ingest the FULL clips (from the DVDs), no problem. It's when I ingest segments of the clips (from the DVDs) that I get weird stuff going on. [And, ingesting from the camera works fine whether I ingest a full or partial clip. It's only when ingesting from back-up DVDs that I have any problems.]

Anyways, that's what seems to be going on. If anyone has any thoughts, I'd love to hear 'em!

Thanks!

Vixter

Note: I'm using a Canon HF-10 along with the optional Canon DW-100 DVD back-up burner.

Only part of some clips show up in Viewer. Please Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.