Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Protected AAC files won't play on authorized computer

I have a two year old computer with iTunes 10 that plays both Purchased AAC and Protected AAC songs fine.

I just moved my iTunes files to a new computer with iTunes 10 and authorized the computer. It will play Purchased AAC songs fine, but when I try to play a Protected AAC file it says I have to authorize the computer. When I do that again, it says that the computer is already authorized and that I have authorized 4 of my possible 5 computers. But when I try again to play the Protected AAC song, it does the same thing all over again.

Why can't I play music I have already paid for on one of my "authorized" computers?

Posted on Aug 29, 2011 10:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2011 10:53 PM

I just figured this out following different related threads.

I think that some songs were purchased through an Apple ID with just my name and some were purchased with an Apple/AOL ID with my name @aol.com after it

I authorized the computer using the second one using the AOL user name and now all of the songs seem to play.

It means that I used two of my "authorizations" on a single computer, so I may need to figure out how to straighten that out at some point, but at the moment I don't need all of the authorizations and at least all of my purchased songs will now play

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2011 10:53 PM in response to SteveAR

I just figured this out following different related threads.

I think that some songs were purchased through an Apple ID with just my name and some were purchased with an Apple/AOL ID with my name @aol.com after it

I authorized the computer using the second one using the AOL user name and now all of the songs seem to play.

It means that I used two of my "authorizations" on a single computer, so I may need to figure out how to straighten that out at some point, but at the moment I don't need all of the authorizations and at least all of my purchased songs will now play

Feb 19, 2013 7:41 PM in response to SteveAR

Your post is more informative than any of the punks at the apple store and the email-only (!!!) itunes support they refered me to. Basically, my wife is having the same issue with her old library. She has an old @aol.com as the "user name". When I try to play one of these old songs (that I copied from her old laptop onto my desktop for a consolidated, shared library) I get that pop up, "This computer is not authorized to play "[song title]". Would you like to authorize it?" The 'Apple ID' auto populates with [heremail]@aol.com. You mentioned that you used your name and also your apple ID. What is the difference, and how can I enter it differently in the pop-up? I have tried manually typing in her (maiden) name, with and without a space, also the [heremail] without the @aol.com, then entering the password that we know of, and still nothing.

Sorry to bring up old issues, but I could really use the help. She has over 2000 purchased songs and they can't be played on anything but the ipod that hasn't been synced in years.

Also, when I log into her old iTunes account in the iTunes store, there are only about a dozen songs in the Purchased section. ***??? This makes me think there is a real issue with the iTunes system.

Like I said, apple was ZERO help with this. The emails that we received were sent to us by a person who probably bangs her head against brick walls for fun.

Also, I have set all the permissions to the folders and files so both her and my login have read/write.

Thanks in advance.

Feb 19, 2013 8:15 PM in response to Durf Diggler

Okay, so upon further investigation: there are actually 415 protected aac files on the computer. There are 418 protected aac on her ipod... strange... but, when I log into itunes with her aol email address, there are only those few songs, those play on the computer bc they are 'purchased aac'. cmd+I shows both the protected and purchased have been purchased by the same exact apple id. ***??? I followed the directions in a few of the other discussions and also one of apple's suggestion sites (pictures from 10.3 or something!)... no help. From what I've found, you're the only person that got something to work, and you also had to deal with an aol address.

Again, thanks for your help.

Protected AAC files won't play on authorized computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.