Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Outgoing Mail stucks in queue

Hello,

We have an issue where outgoing mails for specific only domains are stuck in queue (Snow Leopard Server 10.6.8)

Here is the SMTP logs for those specific messages:

Aug 30 13:42:51 mail postfix/smtp[2230]: 9D3C2B6A007: to=<USER@DOMAIN.gr>, relay=mailgate2.DOMAIN.gr[194.x.x.x]:25, delay=350529, delays=350385/0.05/145/0, dsn=4.4.2, status=deferred (lost connection with mailgate2.DOMAIN.gr[194.x.x.x] while receiving the initial server greeting)

Aug 30 13:42:51 mail postfix/smtp[2230]: 9D3C2B6A007: to=<USER@DOMAIN.gr>, relay=mailgate2.DOMAIN.gr[194.x.x.x]:25, delay=350529, delays=350385/0.05/145/0, dsn=4.4.2, status=deferred (lost connection with mailgate2.DOMAIN.gr[194.x.x.x] while receiving the initial server greeting)

I have disabled ClamAV and Spam. I have tried to release the queue again using postsuper, but no luck.

Messages stuck in queue.

Any help will be appreciated.

Best regards

Kostas

Posted on Aug 30, 2011 3:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2011 7:03 AM

From the error message it looks like the receiving server is dropping the connection, the problem is not on your end. They could be having network problems or your server's IP address could be blacklisted. Check your IP address at spamhaus.org and see if it's listed. Outgoing mail will remain in the queue for up to a week if your server can't send it to the receiving server, then it will bounce back to the sender.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2011 7:03 AM in response to Kostas B

From the error message it looks like the receiving server is dropping the connection, the problem is not on your end. They could be having network problems or your server's IP address could be blacklisted. Check your IP address at spamhaus.org and see if it's listed. Outgoing mail will remain in the queue for up to a week if your server can't send it to the receiving server, then it will bounce back to the sender.

Aug 30, 2011 7:24 AM in response to capaho

Thanks. I have used mxtoolbox.com to check for blacklisting. It reports this:

NOMOREFUNN User uploaded file LISTED Dynamic IP or generic rDNS. Use your ISPs mail service, or whitelist at: Detail 1177421238
Return codes were: 127.0.0.3
1927 62
UCEPROTECTL3 User uploaded file LISTED Your ISP FORTHNET-GR FORTHnet/AS1241 is UCEPROTECT-Level3 listed for hosting a total of 1334 abusers. See: Detail
Return codes were: 127.0.0.2

But nomorefunn indicates that the blacklisted IP is a result of blocking the whole ISP subnet.

I asked for a whitelisting from nomorefunn, but in uceprotectl3 does not have that option.

What else should I do?

Regards

Kostas

Aug 30, 2011 9:03 AM in response to Kostas B

You're operating within an IP address space that isn't permitted mail servers by your ISP, or your reverse DNS is incorrect, or both. (Various ISPs will add their dynamic IP address ranges into the blacklists, and some other entities (businesses, etc) will add their subnets that don't contain mail servers into the blacklists, too.)

In addition to outbound mail sent to other servers being treated as spam and dropped, inbound mail from a number of servers will also fail; it'll be dropped before the messages are sent to this server.

As the spam mess continues to be a problem, additional mail servers will enable and use these checks, too.

Your options are to host your mail server somewhere else or to use a mail-hosting service, or to upgrade your access through your ISP, or to see if another ISP will enable a static IP address and authorize a relay for your server; some form of a tunnel from the current constrained ISP to an ISP that is amenable to your hosting a mail server through them.

Based on previous discussion of other mail-related issues (and IIRC), you apparently don't have access to a static IP and mail servers through your current ISP. Which limits your choices.

Aug 30, 2011 9:13 AM in response to MrHoffman

Thank you.

My reverse DNS and SPF records are fine according to mxtoolbox.com

We have bought a 8 static IP subnet from the ISP to use it exactly for this mail. We also bought DNS management from the ISP for this subnet. There is no upgrade plan higher than this for the specific ISP.

We can use the ISP's mail gate for relaying, but in this case we should not need the extra cost of the IP block since we need only one static IP.

Regards

Kostas

Aug 30, 2011 11:04 AM in response to Kostas B

Your forward and reverse DNS translations have been verified and are correct, your primary and secondary MX records are also correct, and your primary mail server IP address is not listed in Spamhaus. All good there.

This would imply a stale DNS translation or some sort of a configuration error at the recipient server or anti-spam service, or (as happens fairly regularly) the listings entities you're checking with are buggy, or could potentially be operating with some sort of other or differing interests in this process.

In the case of that UCEPROTECT error, that indicates you're in a "bad neighborhood" for spam and abuse. There's not much you can do about that, unfortunately, other than re-hosting elsewhere.

As one potential option for the first diagnostic, consider dispensing with that secondary MX record as a test, and see if that might be tripping up these checks. That host name includes a particular substring within the string that can trigger some of these filter tests. Wait (86400) for the DNS caches for that host name to clear before testing this.

Alternatively, you can host your mail server somewhere else or to use a mail-hosting service, or see if another ISP will enable a static IP address and authorize a relay for your server.

Aug 30, 2011 12:26 PM in response to MrHoffman

Thanks!

I have a split DNS setup, and set the MX in Snow Leopard's DNS as mail.company.gr. Do I have to set the the secondary MX (for which I do not have a PTR resolving to my zone ex. mail2.company.gr, but in ISPs DNS (client.static.ISP.gr) as it is?

Since all major Greek ISPs are listed in UCEPROTECT or some other service, can you suggest some other SMTP providers?

Regards

Kostas

Aug 30, 2011 5:13 PM in response to Kostas B

Split-horizon DNS? (Do you really need to do that? That's bucket of pain that's best avoided.) Use a subdomain or a second domain for your internal network, if you can. That way, you dom't have to track internal and external DNS settings, and you know what's inside your network perimeter, and what's outside. (This does presume you have an external firewall that can reflect traffic, if you're using NAT.)

I would remove the secondary MX record, however that's been set here. I don't know how your ISP establishes that setting. It's usually a control panel somewhere.

As for outsourcing mail services? MacHighway, BlueHost, and various other SMTP providers all have similar offerings. Once you sort out cpanel or whatever the hosting provider uses, these are simple to manage and maintain. (And you can potentially also use these folks as a relay service, if the hosting terms of service allow that.)

As for relay services, the folks at OpenDNS reportedly have an SMTP relay service as a commercial offering, but I have not needed to use that service. There are other similar services around.

There are very likely also Greek and EU-area service providers, if you don't want to tangle with an international host.

Aug 30, 2011 10:09 PM in response to Kostas B

Kostas B wrote:

Since all major Greek ISPs are listed in UCEPROTECT or some other service, can you suggest some other SMTP providers?

You should contact your ISP or whoever is providing your server IP addresses and let them know that their address blocks are blacklisted. It is ultimately their responsibility to get them delisted.

Aug 31, 2011 12:28 PM in response to Kostas B

You can't blindly relay through some other SMTP server without some kind of agreement from them. Therefore no one can tell you specifically where you should go.

However, in most cases, any ISP would generally accept mail from their customer's systems, so I'd expect that your ISP's mail servers would be the best starting point.

Outgoing Mail stucks in queue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.