Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail relay SASL problem / postconf -n

I set up a macmini server with Lion 10.7.1 Server. Mailserver has been set u and works flawlessly for internal mail and receiving mail from outside. I would like to use smtp relay function to connect to my ISP SMTP Service and get my outbound external mail to besent via 1&1 smtp.

Using directly the smtp server from 1&1 (as to be configured clientside in "Mail") works without failure.

Using my server as smtp server to relay the mails to 1&1 ends in getting outbound mails cued on my server. The error message is: "SASL authentication failed; cannot authenticate to server smtp.1und1.de[212.227.15.167]: no mechanism available".

An announced solution to put the string : "smtp_sasl_security_options = noanonymous" in the main.cf file did not solve my problem.

peter

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.1), Server-external Pegasus RAID R4

Posted on Aug 30, 2011 8:23 AM

10 replies

Aug 30, 2011 9:14 AM in response to Peter Rauen

There are a few steps involved.

You will need to define a relay host such as:

relayhost = [smtp.1und1.de]:587

Then, you will need to create a file /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd containing your login and password formatted like so:

[smtp.1und1.de]:587 your_email@yoursite.de:yourpassword

Then run:

sudo postmap /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd

Finally, add the following lines to main.cf:

smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes

smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd

smtp_sasl_security_options =

Aug 30, 2011 11:57 AM in response to Peter Rauen

You will need to use a text editor and save the file as a restricted file that is readable only by root. Some of the GUI text editors such as TextWrangler may be able to do this. I don't know. In a UNIX context such as this, I always stick to UNIX tools. I would use "sudo vi /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd". In vi, type 'i' to enter insert mode. type ESC to leave insert mode and enter command mode. In command mode, type ':w' to save or 'ZZ' to save and exit.

Aug 31, 2011 10:59 PM in response to Peter Rauen

I was somehow early?!

The system worked one day.

Now I get external outbound mails not cued but replied as undeliverable with following message:

Final-Recipient: rfc822; xxxxxx@t-online.de

Original-Recipient: rfc822;xxxxxx@t-online.de

Action: failed

Remote-MTA: dns; smtp.1und1.de

Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 must be authenticated

Internal mail runs on in and outbound.

Jul 28, 2012 12:24 AM in response to etresoft

All again under Mountainlion Server

After upgrading to ML Server the outbound SMTP auth problem bounces back on me. Your solution worked like charm now with lion server for a year, but editing the sasl_passwd and main.cf files in /etc/postfix for MLS like in LS didn´t do the trick. In MLS there is furthermore no Server Admin Console anymore.

After setting up the Mailserver function in MLS I receive all incoming mail perfectly. But I can´t send any outgoing mail via smtp relay.

The error message is: "SASL authentication failed; cannot authenticate to server smtp.1und1.de[212.227.15.167]: no mechanism available", again.

Contacting the smtp server via Outllook or Mail works without flaws.

Is there any solution?

peter

Mail relay SASL problem / postconf -n

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.