Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does it take so long to render and "share" FCP projects when original files were MP4 (Flip Cam)?

My department sometime uses Flip Cams to record short segments. I then take the footage and convert the files from MP4 to .MOV/ProRes using StreamClip and then import them into FCP for editing.

Although the final cuts are approximately three minutes long, FCP and Compressor estimates that the conversions are going to take 12+ hours! My current project in Compressor says 122:22:48 remaining! I usually have no problems with footage from other high definition camcorders.

Majority of my projects are converted either directly to my iMac's hard drive to to an external that is connected via Firewire.

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac11,3

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s

Mac - 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.2), 3 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Posted on Aug 30, 2011 11:51 AM

9 replies

Aug 30, 2011 1:01 PM in response to jadelson

>Why does it take so long to render and "share" FCP projects when original files were MP4 (Flip Cam)?

Simple. Because FCP doesn't work natively with that format. MP4, H.264 (an MPEG-4 variant) and a lot of the codecs that some cameras use to record in these days were all originally designed as final delivery formats - they were not intended nor designed for editing.

So you have to convert any non-native formats to a native format PRIOR to importing it into an FCP project. If you converted to the specs that match your Sequence settings in FCP, you won't have to render until you've added enough effects or enough streams that you've out-tasked your system's resources.

-DH

Aug 30, 2011 1:12 PM in response to David Harbsmeier

Thank you for your response.

When I first started using FCP I discovered the problem with using MP4 formats so I installed MPEG Streamclip and I convert all of my movie files from MP4 to Quicktime ProRes before I start editing. I mentioned this in my original post:

"My department sometime uses Flip Cams to record short segments. I then take the footage and convert the files from MP4 to .MOV/ProRes using StreamClip and then import them into FCP for editing."

When I start a FCP project I import the converted Pro Res file into the project and then drag it to the timeline when I establish the settings for the sequence settings.

What could be causing this problem? I create short 5 to 10 second Motion project bumps for before and after the main videos, but even those are in ProRes.

Aug 30, 2011 2:02 PM in response to David Bogie Chq-1

Here is my workflow for exporting:

1. Render

2. Select the Sequence

3. File > Send to > Compressor

4. Select Quicktime Movie H.264

5. Source to my external firewire hard drive

6. Submit

I generally render everything prior to exporting. I don't know what this "co erring" thing is and google keeps thinking I am trying to find Tiffinay & Co. earrings.

Clearly I am not a pro at this, but my department thinks I am. Thank you for the help thus far.

Aug 31, 2011 8:27 AM in response to jadelson

Sorry for the typos, stupid iPad auto-correct BS.

Your problem is step 3, going to Compressor from FCP's timeline. This forces Compressor to look all the way back upstream to the original media so everything gets done again.

You must export the sequence to a self-contained movie, open Compressor, add the movie file to the processing queue, select your settings, submit.

bogiesan

Why does it take so long to render and "share" FCP projects when original files were MP4 (Flip Cam)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.