Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder shows only aliases and no files!

I recently reinstalled a 2008 mini with 10.5.8 to regain the use of deleted iLife and on its way to using Snow Leopard after a disasterous loss of use of peripherals following 'upgrading' to Lion. It's main use is as a storage drive so I don't spend much time gazing at it, hence my surprise to see that, in Finder, the startup volume - it has three partitions - only shows drive alaises and no files or folders at all.

This occurs when the said main partition 'Hard Disk' icon is selected in the sidebar and only aliases for the other partitions and attached drives show on the right pane. When the 'Computer' icon is selected, all drives appear on the right and when the main partition is selected, its full complement of files etc. is shown. It is as though the contents of the /Volumes folder is all that the main drive's icon can display.

I have run Disk Utility and Repaired Disk Permissions the said partition/volume and Verify Disk-ed the whole hard disk.

Although my intention is to upgrade this install to Snow Leopard, I don't want to do that only to find myself with a crippled drive display.

Any suggestions about getting the drive to display correctly?

Posted on Aug 31, 2011 3:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2011 3:46 AM

First, Safe Boot , (holding Shift key down at bootup), use Disk Utility from there to Repair Permissions.

Then move these files to the Desktop...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.sidebarlists.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.recentitems.plist

Reboot & test.

PS. Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive.

Setup your Finder Preferences for the Sidebar again.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2011 3:46 AM in response to Gottalight

First, Safe Boot , (holding Shift key down at bootup), use Disk Utility from there to Repair Permissions.

Then move these files to the Desktop...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.sidebarlists.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.recentitems.plist

Reboot & test.

PS. Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive.

Setup your Finder Preferences for the Sidebar again.

Finder shows only aliases and no files!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.