Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just bought a Class 10 64Gb SDXC card for my MBA... SLOW! WHY?

My plan was to use it for my music library (and Djay Software), but it is PAINFULLY slow. Why? Is the SD slot just stuck on the USB 2 bus or what? Should it not be fast enough? I'm really disappointed.. I was hoping to use a couple of these cards for audio (not recording.. just playing) and video (same) but this makes them pretty useless... why is this so?

please help.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.1), Aug 11 - 13" - i7 - 128gb

Posted on Aug 31, 2011 3:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2011 3:56 AM

Even on USB 2, you should be getting reasonable data read speeds. Have you checked the formatting?

Use Disk Utility to make sure that it is formatted for Mac (Mac OS Extended) rather than windows (MS-DOS Fat).

Mac can read Fat, but in my experience, it is a lot slower than the native Mac format.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2011 3:56 AM in response to mickod

Even on USB 2, you should be getting reasonable data read speeds. Have you checked the formatting?

Use Disk Utility to make sure that it is formatted for Mac (Mac OS Extended) rather than windows (MS-DOS Fat).

Mac can read Fat, but in my experience, it is a lot slower than the native Mac format.

I just bought a Class 10 64Gb SDXC card for my MBA... SLOW! WHY?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.