Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air and Netflix Silverlight

I have purchased the new Macbook Air 13", returned it due to excessive fan noise and exchanged for a second Macbook Air 13". The product itself is stunning. It's light, sexy, powerful and I like the OS. However, playing a movie on Netflix with the Silverlight app kicks the CPU to 120% plus and runs the fans to at least 5,000 RPMs and up to 6496 RPMs. Then, this chews through the battery life. A SMC reboot doesn't work - tried it. Literally, every other app is quiet, with an exception of maybe a Chrome Render pulling 5-10% of CPU power. Unfortunately I will now make a 4th trip to Apple and it will be to turn this one in. Such a shame. Last call. Any ideas?

<Edited by Host>

Posted on Aug 30, 2011 10:16 PM

6 replies

Aug 31, 2011 5:19 AM in response to TheSmokeMonster

It's the fan, which has the purpose of removing heat from the cpu. Heat is not just associated with moving parts; this is why a cpu has a heat sink, which is an assembly of sorts that transfers heat off of solid devices.Then it's the fan's job to blow it off the board and out of the computer. Regardless of where I reside, whether Alaska or Arizona, indoors or out (within reason: freezing to 120) a computer - any computer - should perform without issue. This is a standard that all mfg's set - whether Dell, Acer, Lenovo, etc.For the premium this computer calls, it should perform, without excuse or exception. With that said, I'm sure there will be a fix, but the jury's out.

Aug 31, 2011 11:03 AM in response to bijagua

Except for one fact. Some machines dissipate heat easier than others depending on their surface. I would not for instance put one of these hot machines on bed linen. A wooden or metal desk is a much better surface. A simple notebook stand can cost as little as $20 if you shop around. And the 120 degrees is not the max. The max is on http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html are:

Line voltage: 100-240V AC
Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz
Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)
Storage temperature: -13° to 113° F (-24° to 45° C)
Relative humidity: 0% to 90% noncondensing
Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet
Maximum storage altitude: 15,000 feet
Maximum shipping altitude: 35,000 feet

Airplane cabin pressure typically is normal for 9000 feet, which is why it is safe to use in flight. Temperatures above are ambient external to computer temperatures.

SMC FanControl has recently been found to be 10.7 incompatible and cause more issues for computers that have been updated or new machines than using without that software. If you are experiencing other overheating symptoms such as unexpected kernel panics, or un-force quitable applications (command-option-escape is the command to force an application to quit via the Force Quit menu), or unprogrammed shut downs (either by Energy Saver or power button, or Apple menu -> Shut Down) only then would I worry about overheating. Now if your ambient temperature humidity is normal, and the fan is just noisy, get a pair of headphones to block the noise.

This is a user to user forum, and all we can do is suggest remedial actions to take. The fact you had 4 replacements and it didn't perform as expected says either the environment is hostile for it, or your expectations are excessive.

Aug 31, 2011 11:25 AM in response to bijagua

A potential 4th trip to the store Brody, not 4 replacements. A 75f degree office and wood desk, yet loud enough that its cannibalizing my battery life and disturbing others in a large office space. A room full of Mac die-hards with over 50 years in purching power. It's not acceptable. Thanks for your 'suggestions'.

Aug 31, 2011 11:50 AM in response to bijagua

What is your measure of battery life? The meter on the menubar has never been accurate except in the last 20 minutes of life. Use a stopwatch software or hardware to determine the real life, and make sure that the battery is properly calibrated as stated on http://www.apple.com/batteries/

If in fact you aren't getting what is expected, it is possible the issue is not the computer, but the power supply used. Anytime power is flaky, there is a chance for computers to fail repeatedly.

Macbook Air and Netflix Silverlight

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.