Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie source clip (sound files in iLife media .aif) "missing" in Lion - solution

Hi,

there seems to have been a change sometime (10.6 od 10.7 or when?) in the sound clip format of iMovie / iLife.

They used to be .aif, now they are .caf.

So in my iMovie projects these sound clips were suddenly "missing" (yellow triangle), with no obvious way of "reconnecting them".

Here is the best info on this topic that I have found, thank you very much:

http://www.wellys.com/movies/iMovie%2009%20Source%20clip%20is%20missing.pdf

It is a PDF that describes exactly how to open the project file (package), and edit the project xml file within to include the correct paths to the missing sounds.

Actually, the location of the iLife sounds have not changed, just the ending of the files.

The trickiest bit is to understand that the original imovie project xml file ist actually in binary format.

Using PList editor, this is not obvious, it lets you edit the files with no problem, so I endet up having an unrecognisable iMovie project.

It is important to first convert the file into xml, edit it with an editor, and then reconvert it to binary.

Otherwise iMovie does not recognise it anymore.

All the best

Martin

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Aug 31, 2011 5:39 AM

2 replies

Aug 31, 2011 7:43 PM in response to mampo

Thanks for posting Martin,

I've had the same thing happen to me once and may have found this article or one very similar to it. It was a bit tedious to convert binary to text back into binary. And also to scroll through the very long XML file to find the audio clip names I was looking for. But it's worth it if you have put so much time into working on the project in the first place. It definitely works, just have to be patient and follow each step very closely.

Jun 17, 2012 10:04 PM in response to elikness

My System is a Mac Mini Mac OS X 10.6.8

I tried deleting the com.apple.imovieapp.plist file and when starting my Mac up and opening IMovie again I can't find the plist file anymore. I would not have looked for it accept I was continuing to experience freezes in IMovie when scrolling through movies and clips. I would like to resolve the freezes and is it necessary to find the plist file? Any advice? Thx in advance...

iMovie source clip (sound files in iLife media .aif) "missing" in Lion - solution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.