Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Playback video is dull

Hi, I have been trying to fix this for a while, I hope somebody will help me on this. When I did a proxy media, suddenly my video playback and thumnail quality became dull. So I deleted the whole project and events and cleared all preferences and tried doing it from scratch but still the import video is dull. When I check the video in the finder, it's good. I'm not importig as proxy. Please help me in getting this resolved

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Aug 31, 2011 11:03 AM

9 replies

Sep 1, 2011 6:47 AM in response to chandarfrombentonville

Playback (and export) will use the proxy media (which is 1/4 resolution) if you have that set in your preferences to use it. If you want to playback high quality, you need to switch that preference back to use original/optimized media. This is essential to do whenever you export as well.

If your issue is that using original media gives you a performance hit but you still want to see high quality during editing and playback, then you need to generate optimized media and use that.

Sep 1, 2011 6:47 PM in response to Andy Mees

@Andy Mees. Sorry about the confusion. I have initially tried proxy media, that's when the probem started. After that, I have deleted eveything (including preferences), uninstalled and reinstalled final cut pro x and then imported back the different videos without proxy but still the play back is dull. When I right click on the video and find it in the disk, it's good. Even when I don't skim on the video, its bright. But as soon as I move the cursor over the video and start video skimming or playback it's playing back dull. Please see my screen shot

THE LEFT IMAGE (WHICH IS BRIGHT YELLOW) is how the video looks. But as I move the cursor over the video (LEFT ONE), it becomes dull. The actual video in the drive is bright. This is not a proxy, but this issue started only when I created proxy in the past, but I have deleted all those projects and preferences(even all the events). Please help

User uploaded file

Sep 2, 2011 3:21 AM in response to Thomas Emmerich

When Tom says it is possibly a graphics card problem, I think he means an incompatibility with FCPX, not a broken card. This type of problem has been reported in the past, and usually it ends up being due to a graphics card that doesn't support OpenCL (which is required for FCPX). The reason why it might only appear in one window is because that's how FCPX is programmed; it probably is using specific OpenCL API calls in the viewer window (possibly for rendering effects). If the graphics card doesn't support those calls, weird problems might occur such as losing the green channel, or other artifacts such as static which I've also seen reported.

What are your system specs? Especially your graphics card? Can you tell us what you see in the "About This Mac" window? Also report the video card from "More Info."

Playback video is dull

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.