Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removal of Lion Recovery partition for SL installation

Hi All

If I have Lion installed and I want to erase the HDD and install SL instead, will the erase and install also remove the Lion Recovery partition?

I would normally zero out the disk with DU and then install SL from scratch and I didn't want a Lion recovery left behind.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.1), 80GB HDD 2GB RAM 1.6Ghz

Posted on Aug 31, 2011 12:22 PM

27 replies

Sep 1, 2011 8:01 PM in response to bendotson

bendotson wrote:

Hey Sig,

I have an issue where I want to erase the lion recovery disk and recoup that space for my roll-back to SL but I dont see any way to do that on my MBA. Any clue?

Not sure if this will work, but try: Boot from your SL Install, Select Utility->Disk Utility, select your Macintosh HD, then select Partition->One Partition.

Sep 1, 2011 10:40 PM in response to Lanny

Lanny wrote:

Resetting the partition to 1 will remove the Recovery partition.

Been there, done that. I assure you, while it would be simple enough, the SSD won't let it happen.

It's almost as if Disk Utility treats the partition not as a logical drive, but a physical one, once Lion creates it.

Disk Utility reads the Recovery Partition as your only startup partition, even though you booted using a Snow Leopard USB flash drive. It refuses to erase, or be included when you partition the entire drive as a single partition. I even took it to a Genius Bar, and it stumped everyone that the RC could not be touched with DU.

Sep 1, 2011 10:58 PM in response to SP Forsythe

Erasing a partition is not a process for removing a partition.

I'm don't have any SSDs, so I can't comment on your assertion that it must always have a bootable partition even if you're not actually booting from it. But, if that is true, you still should be able to remove the Recovery partition after installing another bootable partition.

Sep 1, 2011 11:15 PM in response to Lanny

Lanny wrote:

Erasing a partition is not a process for removing a partition.

I was merely pointing out that neither can be done to the RP. I tried to resort to erasure as last ditch to regain the space, when repartitioning to a single partition failed all efforts.

Even after SL is installed, the RP is still untouchable on the SSD. I would have never thought it possible, had not several "Genius Bar" techs failed to also solve the problem. Maybe the "geniuses" were not so adept. If that is the case, I sure would like to see if a responder to this thread can solve it for the OP and myself.

Sep 2, 2011 3:24 AM in response to garrywestwelluk

Try this from the command line, then reopen Disk Utility.

Then select from the new Debug menu show all partitions.

defaults write com.apple.DiskUtility DUDebugMenuEnabled 1

Then what you could try is is select the Recover HD partition

and mount it. Then, see if you can reformat the entire drive

to one partition.

It could be that the Recovery HD volume does not get

recognized with a normal repartition because it is not a mounted

volume by default.

Sep 2, 2011 6:55 AM in response to SP Forsythe

Here's some info from Ars Technica:

The new partition is actually considered a different type:

Apple_Boot
. The Recovery HD volume won't be automatically mounted upon boot and therefore won't appear in the Finder. It's not even visible in the Disk Utility application, appearing only as a tiny blank space in the partition map for the disk. But as shown above, the command-line
diskutil
program can see it. Diskutil can mount it too.

Apparently Apple has decided that the ability to boot a Mac into a known-good (software) state is well worth sacrificing a small amount of disk space. MacBook Air owners or other Mac users with diminutive solid-state disk drives may disagree, however. In that case, the disk space can be reclaimed by some judicious repartitioning with Disk Utility (or the

diskutil
command-line tool) while booted from another disk. But don't be surprised when the fellow at the Genius Bar frowns a little at your deviation from the Apple Way.

Sep 2, 2011 12:06 PM in response to jdeal63

jdeal63 wrote:

Doing an erase and install back to Snow Leopard does not delete the Lion Recovery Partition, and it remains after the installation of SL. Here is how to get rid of it:

Deleting the Mac OS X 10.7 Lion “Recovery HD” Partition

Launch the Terminal and follow the directions in the above article, and it's gone. I successfully removed it by doing this.

jdeal63

Was your successful venture on an SSD?

Using Terminal, and not the GUI interface of DU gets past the "you cannot erase a startup partition" error?

Removal of Lion Recovery partition for SL installation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.