Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

EMERGENCY! Camcorder compatible with FCE 3.0?

My son has a video job and needs a camcorder compatible with FCE 3.0 on an old eMac running Tiger 10.4.11. Will just about any mini DV camcorder or Hi8 with Firewire work?

russnichols@sbcglobal.net

emac Power PC G4

Posted on Aug 31, 2011 6:27 PM

5 replies

Aug 31, 2011 6:57 PM in response to oldhoosier

Almost any miniDV camcorder will work. Also, most if not all Digital-8 camcorders will also work because Digital-8 is Sony's implementation of DV using 8mm video tapes.

However, analog Hi-8 tapes played in a Digital-8 camcorder probably cannot be captured. I don't believe the camera can convert the analog recording to DV during playback.

If you have the choice, miniDV is the safer choice.

Aug 31, 2011 7:43 PM in response to oldhoosier

Although I just had another thought about the compatibility with Hi8. I shot a lot of analog Hi8 tape 20 years ago in Peru and within the last two or three years dumped some of it into my old FCE 3.0, trimmed out a segment of Peruvian folk singers and transferred the result onto a DVD. That old Hi8 camcorder is long gone, I used another, newer Hi8 camcorder to feed the video into FCE with firewire.

Sep 1, 2011 6:06 AM in response to oldhoosier

As I mentioned earlier, a Digital-8 camcorder will work ... but if you have the choice, a miniDV camcorder is a safer choice at this point.

The best results with Digital-8 require shooting in Digital-8 mode using Digital-8 cassettes. If you have or shoot Hi-8 (which is an analog mode) you may or may not be able to capture it in FCE. It is also possible to shoot Digital-8 mode on Hi-8 tapes but that is even iffier.

I have used a number of different Digital-8/Hi-8 camcorders over the years; some worked & some didn't when it came to capturing Hi-8 material. I always found it more reliable to capture Hi-8 material by using an external analog-digital converter.

EMERGENCY! Camcorder compatible with FCE 3.0?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.