Skip navigation

Where is my user icon / photo stored?

12456 Views 24 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2013 11:38 PM by mfernandez7016 RSS
1 2 Previous Next
Rasuul Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Aug 31, 2011 8:15 PM

Hi there -

Checked the old library>Cache>etc. but nothing there. I had a user profile shot that I'd like to recover & like to use elsewhere, but cannot locate it for the life of me.

Best,

RAx

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Mem: 2GB 1067 MHz DDR3 (sigh)
  • JCrebbin Level 2 Level 2 (215 points)
    Aug 31, 2011 8:52 PM (in response to Rasuul)

Default Icons are stored in \Library\User Pictures\

I am currently trying to find the elusive location of a personalised picture.

• captfred Level 7 Level 7 (26,225 points)
    Sep 1, 2011 9:33 AM (in response to Rasuul)

It's in  ~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook/Images

Regards,

Captfred

• JCrebbin Level 2 Level 2 (215 points)
    Sep 5, 2011 11:43 PM (in response to Rasuul)

I believe that if you have changed the photo and only an old one exists, that you may not be able to get it back. Test this. Create a new image, set it as the icon, and check that it has appeared in the address book location. Then alter the icon through prefs to another image and the address book item should change. (rather than an extra image appear).

I think that makes sense, hate typing on an ipad!

• Tony T1 Level 6 Level 6 (8,125 points)
    Sep 19, 2011 7:38 AM (in response to Rasuul)

A copy is stored in ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.iChat/Pictures/

• SsquaredplusA Calculating status...
    Mar 23, 2012 3:12 PM (in response to Rasuul)

I have not been able to find it either. I have tried all of the ideas above, plus some others I found through a google search and have had no luck...

If anyone has any other ideas I would like to hear them.

Thanks!

Stephen

• Russa Level 4 Level 4 (1,315 points)
    Mar 23, 2012 4:17 PM (in response to Rasuul)

Open System Preferences/Users&GRoups.. tehn click on your account.. then click on your photo in the window. you'll hav an option to choose anicon or a photo from some other source.

• SsquaredplusA Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Mar 23, 2012 5:13 PM (in response to Russa)

Russa, yes I know how to change my user profile picture. What I am looking for is the original photo that I took when I created my user profile on my current laptop running Lion. I accidentaly changed it to a different photo and now I can't get my old one back or find it anywhere...

Thanks,

Stephen

• Russa Level 4 Level 4 (1,315 points)
    Mar 24, 2012 5:47 AM (in response to SsquaredplusA)

.. normally it would be in iPhoto library. However, if you selected one randomly off your desktop or a folder then it could be anywhere on your computer. If you remember the name of it you can search for it through Spotlight. Did you look in the Pictures folder. When you opneed up the Users & Groups preference, did you click on the "Recent Pictures" pull-down menu?

• Tony T1 Level 6 Level 6 (8,125 points)
    Mar 24, 2012 6:24 AM (in response to SsquaredplusA)

Do you see anything in ~/Library/Images/iChat Recent Pictures/

• SsquaredplusA Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Mar 24, 2012 9:03 AM (in response to Rasuul)

Russa, I took the photo when setting up my account. I did not use a photo I already had. I can't find it in the pictures folder and the recent photos drop down are all blank...

Tony, there is only one photo in ~/Library/Images/iChat Recent Pictures/ and it is a more recent one I took BC I can't find the one I want. There is also a file named Recents.plist

Thanks for trying to help guys! This one is really stumping me.

I have tried looking through my cache files, I have tried looking through my time machine back ups, I have tried looking everywhere mentioned above and still no luck...

Stephen

1 2 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.