Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copy and Paste cells with borders?

Is there no way to copy cells with borders and paste them in a new mail?

It copies only the external borders and does not copy the internal ones.

Eg:

In Numbers:

User uploaded file

But In Mail when pasted

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro 15'' unibody Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Sep 1, 2011 2:08 AM

12 replies

Sep 1, 2011 6:46 AM in response to SukhiAatma

Question asked and answered several times.

The answer is : Feature unavailable.

Borders and contents are different structures which aren't copied together.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) jeudi 1 septembre 2011 15:45:39

iMac 21”5, i7, 2.8 GHz, 4 Gbytes, 1 Tbytes, mac OS X 10.6.8 and 10.7.0

My iDisk is : <http://public.me.com/koenigyvan>

Please :

Search for questions similar to your own

before submitting them to the community

Feb 28, 2012 2:04 PM in response to Bruce Nitro

Bruce Nitro wrote:

This feature is unavailable?!?!? How could Apple make something and omit an extremely imporant feature?

There should be an option to toggle on and off that makes borders and contents grouped together or grouped separately. This is a feature that is desparately needed.

The fact that it's desparately needed by Bruce Nitro don't make this feature a "must be included" one.

What is sure is that at this time it's unavailable.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) mardi 28 février 2012

iMac 21”5, i7, 2.8 GHz, 12 Gbytes, 1 Tbytes, mac OS X 10.6.8 and 10.7.3

My Box account is : http://www.box.com/s/00qnssoyeq2xvc22ra4k

Feb 28, 2012 2:42 PM in response to Bruce Nitro

Bruce Nitro wrote:

This feature is unavailable?!?!? How could Apple make something and omit an extremely imporant feature?

There should be an option to toggle on and off that makes borders and contents grouped together or grouped separately. This is a feature that is desparately needed.

What does that mean, really? I'm having trouble computing the meaning of grouped separately.

Jerry

Feb 29, 2012 9:56 PM in response to KOENIG Yvan

KOENIG Yvan wrote:

Bruce Nitro wrote:

The fact that it's desparately needed by Bruce Nitro don't make this feature a "must be included" one.

What is sure is that at this time it's unavailable.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) mardi 28 février 2012

iMac 21”5, i7, 2.8 GHz, 12 Gbytes, 1 Tbytes, mac OS X 10.6.8 and 10.7.3

My Box account is : http://www.box.com/s/00qnssoyeq2xvc22ra4k

That fact that you complain that this question has been asked and answered several times on more than one thread should be painfully obvious evidence to you that I'm not the only one who thinks this feature must be included. It's a very simple, basic, and important feature. And I'm not sure why you're pompously defending Apple as if you're a Scientologist. You know very well multiple users complain about this. So don't counter-argue our complains making us feel like our point is moot. That's counter productive to actually getting Apple to fix what it broke: which was an operable Microsoft Excel system knock off.

Oct 24, 2012 8:52 PM in response to SukhiAatma

So I guess this still doesnt work easily. After 30 yrs on a pc, just got my first mac. I often need to cut and paste part of a spreadsheet into an email message and without cell borders, it is not easy to read. I didnt want to have to buy the excel, but may have to so I dont spend and hour doing a funky workaround in numbers that would take less than a minute in excel.

Oct 24, 2012 9:07 PM in response to maggiesteamboat

Hi maggiesteamboat.

I would say that if you are used to excel then you can buy it.

But that will still not copy formatting in your email.

I have found that in numbers when the border size is >= 1pts then the

borders get easily copied and pasted. This doesn't happen in excel.

But since I am used to excel I have bought it on my mac.

The 2011 mac version is pretty good.

Jul 22, 2013 8:45 PM in response to SukhiAatma

Actually, I tried it again recently and it did work. I could select and copy and paste into an email with the exterior and interior borders (1 pt lines) all showing. I just did another test and emailed it to myself and it looks good. I even had some borders at 2pt thickness and they came through fine in the email.

I dont know why it started working for me - was it an apple update maybe?

Copy and Paste cells with borders?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.