Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp Problems

Hi i have got a number of problems with my boot camp on mac:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3298776

this is what i posted a coupe of days ago but i havent had a reply.

but the question is if i update to lion will boot camp update and sort its self out?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 1, 2011 9:01 AM

11 replies

Sep 1, 2011 9:53 AM in response to Rob_2506

Re: " this is what i posted a coupe of days ago but i havent had a reply."

You did get a reply on how to get and install the needed drivers from the Snow Leopard install dvd. If you mispaplaced it you will have to get another disk from Apple for $29.00. If you update to Lion without taking the precaution of first cloning your Mac OS partition problems can occur. A direct Lion install with a existing BootCamp Windows OS can upset the partitions and screw things up. Do a search on this forum for more details.

Here are the steps I used to install Lion on two MacBook Pros with out any problems.

1. Use Yasu and Diskwarrior to prepare existing Mac HDD

2. Clone or update smart clone internal HDD to ext HDD

3. Restart from the ext HDD and select it as the startup volume via System Preferences / Startup Disk.

4. Install 10.7 Lion on the cloned ext HDD

5. Install Lion 10.7.1 update on the ext HDD if needed.

6. Restart the ext HDD with the newly installed Lion OS to test and adjust the preferences if needed.

7. Clone ext HDD back to the existing Mac HDD.

8. Reset the startup volume to Lion via System Preferences / Startup Disk.

Sep 1, 2011 10:18 AM in response to Rob_2506

Supposedly you can contact Apple and request a replacement disk of the same type as was originally installed on the machine when new. For example if my 2008 MBP needed a replacement disk it would be Mac OS X 10.5.2 as this is what it came with. I cant upgrade this machine to 10.6 unless I buy (which I did) a retail 10.6 disk.

This post by another forum user may help.

Carolyn Samit

shakaUser uploaded fileLevel 8 (40,400 points)

You can get replacement System Install & Restore CD/DVDs from Apple's Customer Support - in the US, (800) 767-2775 - for a nominal S&H fee. You'll need to have the model and/or serial number of your Mac available.

Sep 1, 2011 2:11 PM in response to Rob_2506

To find out what Mac OS was originally present on your Mac go to this link and get MacTracker and use it to get the info. If it came with 10.6 installed then you should try to get an Apple replacement disk. To find the model & sn of your MBP:

1. Go to the apple menu and click About This Mac.

2. Click the more Info... bar.

3. Under contents open hardware.

4. On the right side among the list will be these items:

Model Name:

Model Identifier:

Serial Number (system):

With these numbers you can start the MacTracker search.

FYI Mac OS X 10.6 was introduced in Aug 2009

Sep 2, 2011 6:03 AM in response to Rob_2506

Rob_2506 wrote:

ok thank you. what do you mean to update to 10.6 you would need to buy the disk because i have been able to update by just downloading the latest software through the mac software update program.

sorry for this cofusion, i feel like a right idiot. thanks for helping

That means your system was already SL. Therefore you should have the original (grey) installation discs that came with the computer. If you've never seen them, they're probably still in the box in a little white box also containing your warranty info and quick start guide.

If you've lost them, then follow the instructions by Carolyn in dalstott's post above.

Sep 2, 2011 9:45 AM in response to dalstott

ok thank you both of you!!.

i have just emptied the box and found the disk! i bought the mac at christmas just gone (2010) day before christmas eve infact!

i dont know if this help at all but thats the hardware:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1

Serial Number (system): 34047F9CATM

so what do i need to do now with the disc so windows 7 will work properly?

Sep 2, 2011 10:22 AM in response to Rob_2506

Start the Mac in Windows ( hold down option key and select Windows). When up and running Windows insert the DVD and follow the directions from Paragraph 2 under the "To install the Boot Camp drivers:" heading.

Step 4: Install the Boot Camp Drivers for WindowsAfter installing Windows, install Mac-specific drivers and other software for Windows using your Mac OS X installation disc.

The Mac OS X disc installs drivers to support Mac components, including AirPort,built-in iSight camera, the Apple Remote, the trackpad on a portable Mac, and thefunction keys on an Apple keyboard.

The Mac OS X disc also installs the Boot Camp control panel for Windows and theApple Boot Camp system tray item.

To install the Boot Camp drivers:

1. 1 Eject the Windows installation disc.
  2. 2 Insert the Mac OS X disc.

If the installer doesn’t start automatically, browse the disc using Windows Explorerand double-click the setup.exe file in the Boot Camp directory.

3. 3 Follow the onscreen instructions.
    If a message appears that says the software you’re installing has not passed Windows

Logo testing, click Continue Anyway.Windows that appear only briefly during the installation don’t require your input.

User uploaded file If nothing appears to be happening, there may be a hidden window that you mustrespond to. Check the taskbar and look behind open windows.

Important: Do not click the Cancel button in any of the installer dialogs.

1. 4 After your computer restarts, follow the instructions in the Found New Hardware

Wizard to update your software drivers (Windows XP only).

2. 5 Follow the instructions for any other wizards that appear.
  3. 6 Check for updated Boot Camp drivers by using Apple Software Update or going to www.apple.com/support/bootcamp.

4. If You Have Problems Installing the Device Drivers

If it appears that the Boot Camp drivers weren’t successfully installed, try repairing them.

To repair Boot Camp drivers:

1. 1 Start up your computer in Windows.
  2. 2 Insert your Mac OS X installation disc.
  3. 3 If the installer doesn’t start automatically, browse the disc using Windows Explorerand double-click the setup.exe file in the Boot Camp directory.
  4. 4 Click Repair and follow the onscreen instructions.
    If a message appears that says the software you’re installing has not passed Windows

Logo testing, click Continue Anyway.

If you need to reinstall specific drivers, you can install one driver at a time. For example,if your built-in iSight camera isn’t working, you can reinstall just the iSight driver.

Individual drivers are in the Drivers folder on the Mac OS X installation disc.

To reinstall a specific driver:

1. 1 Insert your Mac OS X installation disc.
  2. 2 Quit AutoRun if it opens.
  3. 3 Using Windows Explorer, locate the driver that you want to reinstall.
  4. 4 Open the driver to start the installation.

Boot Camp Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.